Bilal

Bilal

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Palestinian Territory

Hello all,

Is anybody there can help me to find a free DEM sample for Palestinian territory,

i Have a set for contours but im new to this topic

i want to great a topographic map

canvas101

canvas101

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • United States

Hello Bilal,

There are many commercial pieces of software that can convert your contours into a DEM. My personal favorite is GlobalMapper. Basically you would import the contours select them and then create a grid specifying the grid spacing and a few other parameters. After that export a DEM and/or Shaded Relief. Hope this helps.

Regards

Bilal

Bilal

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Palestinian Territory

Thank you

Earthscientist

Earthscientist

Contributor

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • No Country Selected

Hello all,

Is anybody there can help me to find a free DEM sample for Palestinian territory,

Manifold System contains a version of the DEST algorithm. This objective* algorithm is a form of triangulation and will produce hydrologically sensible DEMs from point elevation values and/or contours. The results are very good when the spatial distribution of the input elevation values is dense and relatively uniform., but faceting is apparent when this is not the case.

*Requires no input by the user to control/guide interpolation - hence it an objective interpolator

Igor Brejc

Igor Brejc

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Slovenia

Hello all,

Do you really need your contours as a source? It would be much easier to just use NASA SRTM DEM data, it's in public domain.
You can generate contours, hillshading etc using Maperitive, here's a sample hillshading + hysometric + contours map around Dead Sea I've just did in less than a minute (the sea polygons can be extracted from OpenStreetMap):

Attached File  output.png   381.61KB   30 downloads
Igor Brejc
author of Maperitive, an OSM-based mapmaking software

Bilal

Bilal

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Palestinian Territory

Hello all
thank you for your help i really apprecate it,
about using Maperitive, i it's realy useful and global mapper is magnificant , im still new for these softwear,

i tried Illustrator Cs4 Map publisher 8.3 it has a powerfull tools for adding general effects, but when it related to the real Map it's all circiling around the ArcGIS softwear it also complicated.

here i make a sample elevation map using global mapper and ArcMap V.10 and try some of the Map Publisher 8.3 effects
it still need alot of modification, such as elevation annotation and more sequence color for the elevation itself and for sure need a legend and Clear title with a scale bar

i want to hear from you guys i beleive that in such away we can gain more experince

waiting to hear from you!!

bilal

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->