Photo

Greetings from a funemployed GISer/WWOOFer in SW USA

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Kreedance

Kreedance

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:GIS (of course :)), knitting, homesteading skills, primitive skills, fiber crafts (knitting, tatting, spinning), circus arts (swinging trapeze, flying trapeze)
  • United States

Hello, I'm Kari. I was a GIS professional for about 4 years in a large engineering firm but was laid off after a major business change. Very sad at the time but I've learned to make the best of a bad situation but giving up my apartment, putting my stuff in storage and going on adventures. I have been doing WWOOFing during this time. WWOOF (worl wide opportunities on organic farms) is a work exchange program. I work 25-35 hours per week on a farm in exchange for food and board. As a lifelong city girl, I never thought I'd know how to milk goats and make cheese. Plus, I've met tons of interesting people!

During this time, I always look to make connections in the GIS world. I've attended URISA/GIS Consortums in Washington and Colorado. I managed to find some volunteer work in Minnesota and New Mexico as well. I also got a ESRI ArcGIS 10 home use license! My biggest problem has been 'what to map?'. I have thought of making maps for my hosts so that they can give to volunteers to find them easier.

I'm thrilled that that this forum exists! I mss talking shop with folks and the map gallery is sure to inspire me on my 'what to map' conundrum.

Talk to you all soon!

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,319 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Hi and welcome! Sounds like an interesting background - are you now looking at getting back into the GIS/cartography game?
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Kreedance

Kreedance

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:GIS (of course :)), knitting, homesteading skills, primitive skills, fiber crafts (knitting, tatting, spinning), circus arts (swinging trapeze, flying trapeze)
  • United States

Hi and welcome! Sounds like an interesting background - are you now looking at getting back into the GIS/cartography game?

I would love to get back into the GIS game----eventually. But I'm thoroughly enjoying my imposed sabbatical though. I like to stay in touch with the game though. I've dabbled with idea of going into business for myself (a google search on the topic brought me to this user group/forum.) But knowing what I know about myself, I don't think it's something I would be happy doing. Coupled with the fact that 4-5 years seems still inexperienced makes the venture seem overly ambitious.

Kreedance

Kreedance

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • United States

I just got a temporary position with my old company :) Good on so many levels, stay in touch with the industry (keep thosevskills sharp), plus cash for traveling. :)

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,319 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Excellent and congratulations - maybe a good point to start from to consider other options - including as a freelancer... ?
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->