Giggles

Giggles

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • No Country Selected

Hello Guys,

I would like to revive this topic that was posted a long time ago: Texture Substitution

Can anyone suggest an instructional approach on how to accomplish a texture substitution in photoshop as described below by T. Patterson?

From Tom Patterson's "Getting Real: Reflecting on the New Look of National Park Service Maps", 2002

"Using an aerial photograph or satellite image (registered to a base map), land cover is carefully delineated as Photoshop selections with pixel-level precision. These selections are then transferred to the base map, where they are filled with generic land cover textures cloned from the aerial photograph, or even from other photographs (Figure 9)."

The response in that topic was vaguely helpful. I hope that some advanced cartographers that frequent these forums would be willing to divulge an instructional approach to accomplish what Tom has done.

This should be a helpful discussion for all.

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

I took a stab at a similar cartographic effect a bit ago and developed something similar I referred to as a textured pixel or texel.

Here is a link if interested.

While similar to 'bump mapping' it's a different technique altogether since it embeds a repeatable texture on each pixel rather than shading groups of pixels.

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

Giggles

Giggles

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • No Country Selected

I took a stab at a similar cartographic effect a bit ago and developed something similar I referred to as a textured pixel or texel.

Here is a link if interested.

While similar to 'bump mapping' it's a different technique altogether since it embeds a repeatable texture on each pixel rather than shading groups of pixels.

Matthew many thanks for your reply. I find it very helpful. Out of 81 people that viewed this post, you were the only that is willing to share. Cheers!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->