skorasaurus

skorasaurus

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • United States

Hi,

I'm printing out a map of mine (36x30 inches) to put on a wall as a display (to hang in my office) and will not be folded . I'm clueless on what types of paper/weight I should specify to my printer.

When you do a similar project, do you go for a gloss or matte finish, what paper weight do you use ?

thanks,
will

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I'm printing out a map of mine (36x30 inches) to put on a wall as a display (to hang in my office) and will not be folded . I'm clueless on what types of paper/weight I should specify to my printer.

When you do a similar project, do you go for a gloss or matte finish, what paper weight do you use ?

It's partly a matter of personal preference. Ask your printer whether he can show you some samples of the different papers and then pick whichever one you like best.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

If you plan on laminating the map you might consider a matte paper.

Holly B

Holly B

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • United States

A heavy weight stock would reduce sagging. A 100 lb. stock would be a good choice for a flat map destined for a wall. Matte will have less glare.

Strebe

Strebe

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Interests:Map projections. Snobby chocolate. Science in general.
  • United States

Hi,

thanks,
will

I use a semi-glossy photo stock for posters of this image. While this is not a typical map in any sense, I find that photo stock (matte, semi-gloss, or glossy) is the only way to achieve correct colors and finest detail, both of which are even more important in traditional maps than in that image. A good coated stock can get you as much detail, but it will still lack the wide gamut of photo paper. Photo paper is expensive, but for one-offs that I care about, it’s the only way I go.

Best,
— daan Strebe

skorasaurus

skorasaurus

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • United States

Thank you for sharing your insights and experiences !

Ultimately, I decided to visit the print shop and I'll find out in person which one I like the best.

Regards,
Will

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->