Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

A. Fenix

A. Fenix

Analisa Fenix

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, PGIS, PPGIS, GIS, Urban/regional Planning, Conservation, Biodiversity/Cultural Diversity, Travel, History, Ecology, Geography, Biking, Gardening, Cooking, Physics, Permaculture, Sky diving, Green Roofs, Music (creating and enjoying), Photography, Carpentry, Film making, Writing...
  • No Country Selected

Thanks again everyone! Very, very helpful suggestions. I'm pretty hard headed about dropping the bathymetry (how i love shades of blue), but i know you're right :( Doesn't "beauty" count as adding to the map? ;) I finally get a little break this weekend (UGH!) so i can work on these maps in my free time and hopefully have them out the door and back to the publisher by next week.

I seriously appreciate all the great feedback. For those who are interested, keep your eye out for the book "Wolves in the Pacific Northwest" to be released later this year by Timber Press. Course by then, the maps will probably be outdated considering how fast things change in the natural and political world of wolves.

Be well and keep mapping,

Analisa
Analisa Fenix
GIS Manager/Chief Cartographer
Ecotrust

A. Fenix

A. Fenix

Analisa Fenix

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, PGIS, PPGIS, GIS, Urban/regional Planning, Conservation, Biodiversity/Cultural Diversity, Travel, History, Ecology, Geography, Biking, Gardening, Cooking, Physics, Permaculture, Sky diving, Green Roofs, Music (creating and enjoying), Photography, Carpentry, Film making, Writing...
  • No Country Selected

I somehow missed your last comment with map examples Dennis. Attached is my first draft showing range, which i worried that the map reader would get a headache so switched to the two tone effect. Now that i'm looking at it after some time, i'm wondering if it isn't a bit stronger...ahhh, the joy of mapping. The edits never have to cease ;)

Attached Files

Analisa Fenix
Ecotrust

Charles Syrett

Charles Syrett

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Canada

I think you need to simplify this map. The colours in the elevation tints confuse things. Have a look at how Steve Fick at Canadian Geographic did a former/present range map. There's shaded relief in there, and he has two simple blocks of transparent colour indicating the ranges. Simple and effective.

Charles Syrett
Map Graphics
http://www.mapgraphics.com

A. Fenix

A. Fenix

Analisa Fenix

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • No Country Selected

I think you need to simplify this map. The colours in the elevation tints confuse things. Have a look at how Steve Fick at Canadian Geographic did a former/present range map. There's shaded relief in there, and he has two simple blocks of transparent colour indicating the ranges. Simple and effective.

Hello Charles. Are you referring to my first draft map (the one shown above your quote?) or the second draft that i started this thread with? You'll notice that my second draft follows the cartographic approach that Steve Fick used.

Thanks for sharing the wolf range map example. :)
Analisa Fenix
Ecotrust

Charles Syrett

Charles Syrett

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Canada

Yes, I can see that your earlier drafts did take this approach! I would try increasing the relief through resolution adjustments (mentioned previously) rather than elevation tints, so that colour is "freed up" for the ranges.

Charles Syrett
Map Graphics
http://www.mapgraphics.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->