6 replies to this topic

Saurabh

Saurabh

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • India

Hi All,

I am a newbie in GIS and I have few questions:

Objective : To create a map of certain villages in India and show the water connection and consumption in households.

Problem:
Take a base map (street view )which will at-least show/display the required villages.==> I am struggling to find such map

I have the GPS co-ordinates and the attribute associated with it.

Once I get such a map, I intent to use ArcGIS.com to create my map. In ArcGIS.com, I will use the above map as basemap and then add the GPS co-ordinates and other attributes to it.

Am I on the right direction, do you suggest any other way ? Am I using a good tool , ArGIS.com

Michael Schmeling

Michael Schmeling

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Germany

Take a base map (street view )which will at-least show/display the required villages.==> I am struggling to find such map

If you are lucky, Open Street Map may have data which you can use to make your base map.
Michael Schmeling
Kassel, Germany
Arid Ocean Map Illustrations
http://maps.aridocean.com
Indie Cartographer
http://www.indiecartographer.com

jrat

jrat

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • United States

ArcMap is a good product, and will do what you have outlined. I believe you are on the correct path to get the map you want.

Saurabh

Saurabh

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • India

If you are lucky, Open Street Map may have data which you can use to make your base map.

Thanks Michael, but unfortunately OpenStreetMap doesn't seem to help. I need a base map of remote villages in Central and western India.
I found out that Govt.of India has those kind of maps.But they are not freely available.Even if I buy them ,which one should I buy - vector or rastor format ? Since, I am using ArcGIS.com / ArcGIS explorer ,which format will be better ?

rajesh2911

rajesh2911

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • India

For the base map you can use Toposheet of the area, which I suppose easily available at survey of India office. Open Street map will give you street details but not for too many village or small town . Please check with your area. All the best
Rajesh

www.designatpeace.com
rajesh@designatpeace.com
info@designatpeace.com

Saurabh

Saurabh

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • India

For the base map you can use Toposheet of the area, which I suppose easily available at survey of India office. Open Street map will give you street details but not for too many village or small town . Please check with your area. All the best
Rajesh

Thanks Rajesh ! So, vector maps from survey of India would be a good choice ?

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

How many villages? How complex is the information to add?

If fewer than 50, it might be easier to simply place and label the villages by hand in Illustrator or even Photoshop, using whatever basemap (raster image of existing topo, Google Maps, Open Street Map, etc.) you can find to assist you.
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->