• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

Rhienne

Rhienne

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • United Kingdom

I was wondering if anyone could help me with a problem I'm having in ArcGIS.

I collected some dGPS data which was in the latitude-longitude format. I used this to create shapefiles and then interpolated them to make DTMs.

I need to compare my DTMs to some other DTMs which are in a northing-easting UK format. I used ArcMAP to convert my lat-long coordinates to N-E (coordinate transformations in data frame properties from geographic world1983.prj to projected British national grid). I copied the new points from the attribute table and saved them in a .txt format (the same as I had my original lat.-long. coordinates in), e.g.

POINT_X POINT_Y ELEVATION (m)
72871.8551994 818989.323874 -2.724
72892.9981523 818998.837057 -1.71
etc.

When I go into ArcCatalog to convert this into a shape file my problems start, despite the fact that the method I am using worked fine for lat.-long. coordinates in the same format, e.g.

LONGITUDE LATITUDE ELEVATION (m)
-7.409905047 57.14507846 -2.724
-7.409569617 57.14517859 -1.707

The method I am using is: 3d analyst > conversion > from file > ASCII to feature class, although I have also tried right clicking on my .txt file and creating shape file from XYZ tables with no success. The conversion runs and completes but instead of my nice network of ~500 points, I get just 2 points displayed showing up hundreds of miles apart in the geography view, but in the table view all my data points are still there.

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this?

J Wallace

J Wallace

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • United States

Hi Rhienne -
I'm sorry if I'm not fully understanding your problem, but if what you need is to have your interpolated lat/long surface show up in the same space (or have the same coordinates as your UK projected data) then I would simply use Data Management Tools - Projections and Transformations - Raster - Project Raster. WGS 84 should show up automatically as your input coordinate system and then select your desired output projection. If your original Lat/Long are correct, your resulting surface should now have the same coordinates as your other data. If I am misunderstanding your issue, let me know and I will try to help further.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->