2 replies to this topic

DHissemGISCARTO

DHissemGISCARTO

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Canada

Hello goes out to the CartoTalk Gods I read along with almost daily. I am presently having problems with placing a shaded relief into MP 8.2 (AI CS4 and Windows).

Creating a shaded relief is still perplexing to me to begin with, but I digress; I fould one I can use for a small project I am presently working on for Niagara Falls, Canada.

Presently I have all the road networks, waterbodies, landmass, etc completed but have always wanted to place a shaded relief (mostly just the hillshades that one would see in Google Maps or Nation Geographic) so that it defines undulations in ground levels. It's not essential but an "up and coming" Cartographer should ALWAYS be learning something new. I love the mixture of ArcGIS and MaPublisher, but need some more skills to even come close to what I'd consider a fine example of visualization of a geographic area.

My main issue is how to begin the process. I've followed the documentation that came with my MP 8.2 but still having difficulties. Would even be willing to pay for the training (but ONLY if I had too).

Are/is there any good tutorials/reference documents, that are out there that I access to fix this deficiency I have in my skill set?

Any input is more then appreciated, may have to name my first child after you if you can help me with this.
Darryl Hissem
"The virtue of maps, they show what can be done!"

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,838 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

If I read your question correctly, you already have the shaded relief in the form of a georeferenced raster file.

The steps to import this into MAPublisher are:
  • Make sure the shaded relief is in the same projection as your MAPublisher Map View. MAPublisher won't reproject rasters.
  • Create a new layer
  • Drag it into the MAPublisher Map View and assign a type to it. Doesn't really matter what type it is
  • Select the shaded relief
  • Click the Register Image button on the MAPublisher toolbar.
  • Either set all the parameters yourself, or click the "Load File" button and select the world file (or tiff file if you have a GeoTiff)

And that should do it. OK out of all the dialogs and the image should line up with the rest of your data. The latest version of MAPublisher makes this process a lot easier by simply allowing georeferenced images to be imported through the regular MAPublisher import dialog. So if you have the opportunity to upgrade I'd certainly recommend it.

Hope this helps. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

DHissemGISCARTO

DHissemGISCARTO

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Canada

Thank you very much Hans (love following your inputs on CartoTalk), will do as you say and drop a response later on how it turned out. :D
Darryl Hissem
"The virtue of maps, they show what can be done!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->