8 replies to this topic

universalplanet

universalplanet

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • United States

I have tried to delete my post now

Edited by universalplanet, 27 January 2012 - 10:37 PM.

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

Bad time to lose your job, there will likely be many more people out of work by the end of 2012 because we are going into a Depression worse then the 1930's. There is a saying that I heard & if you know who Gerald Celete is beware this could be the "Winter of Discontent."

I will however give you words of encouragement, you have a sound resume, you should perhaps move to a hotspot perhaps Texas? And if you do not get what you want, try freelancing, even if you get only a project here & there it's still experience.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

universalplanet

universalplanet

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • United States

Bad time to lose your job, there will likely be many more people out of work by the end of 2012 because we are going into a Depression worse then the 1930's. There is a saying that I heard & if you know who Gerald Celete is beware this could be the "Winter of Discontent."

I will however give you words of encouragement, you have a sound resume, you should perhaps move to a hotspot perhaps Texas? And if you do not get what you want, try freelancing, even if you get only a project here & there it's still experience.

Any advice or information on how to get started at freelancing? It would at least give me more experience and maybe a foot in the door somewhere.

I am thinking of buying a new computer and the Manifold GIS program, which is just about as good as all of the extensions for ArcMap for less than $1000.00 and no maintenance fees ever.

SteveR

SteveR

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • United States

Hi Peter!

I don't know if you're already aware of this one in Salt Lake City, but you might want to try for it:

https://statejobs.ut...t.jsp?rid=25575

Best Wishes,

Steve Richardson
2i3D Stereo Imaging

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • United States

we are going into a Depression worse then the 1930's.

Really? Do you have a reliable source for this information?
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Charles Syrett

Charles Syrett

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Canada

There are quite a few analysts who feel this way. On the other hand, at any given time over the past few decades I've seen dire predictions of financial collapse, often well-argued.

I don't know James' sources, but I've seen compelling arguments, based on demographics alone, that indicate a high likelihood of a Depression within this decade. As I understand it, the argument is that most people in western societies spend the most during the ages of late 30s to early 50s (the time when most are supporting families), and that the spending falls off in later years. Also, when historical graphs plotting births are compared with graphs showing the rise and fall of the Dow-Jones, the curves are remarkably similar when the 50-year-old peak spending age is taken into account.

This evidence is then used to explain why we had a boom in the late 90s and into the 2000s, despite all kinds of other factors that could be viewed as negative. It's as simple as the baby boomers being in their peak purchasing years during that time.

Projecting the birth graph forward, and assuming an ongoing correlation between the two, the future looks worse than the 1930s – simply because the falloff of peak buying is more dramatic than it was then.

That's an overly simplified rendering of the theory, as I understand it. Harry Dent is the foremost proponent of this theory.

I'm not sure that I buy it altogether myself; there always seems to be a "factor X" that catches us all by surprise. Also, during hard times there are always those who see great opportunities. I've heard it said that some of the greatest fortunes were made during the Depression!

Charles Syrett
Map Graphics
http://www.mapgraphics.com

we are going into a Depression worse then the 1930's.

Really? Do you have a reliable source for this information?

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • United States

Thanks, Charles! I wasn't trying to pick on Jimbo, so I hope it didn't come off that way. It's just " a Depression worse then the 1930's" sounded very strong to me and I hadn't come across anything like that in my admittedly cursory news-watching. Hopefully it's just another case of people making dire predictions that don't pan out to be quite so bad - "hope for the best, plan for the worst"?
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

DHissemGISCARTO

DHissemGISCARTO

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Canada

I believe I am part of the trend mentioned by Jimbo in this thread, but I will continue by saying I was also laid off recently due to no fault of my own. Was working as a subcontractor for Toronto Hydro, in Canada and was part of 1,500 +/- folks let go due to budgetary issues.

Collectively, I possess around 3 years experience working in GIS Cartography, Utility Municiple GIS, Field Collections, Peer GIS Tutoring, etc. I would very much would like to get back into my preferred field of GIS Cartographer. (Not disallowing any other aspects of GIS since you need to continue growing or fall to the side of the road, as it were).

I visit CartoTalk daily to read what the”Map Gods” have to pass on to the rest of us. In doing so I hope one of my contemporaries can aid me in finding some work (in Canada) so that I don’t feel too dejected for too long.

Included in this posting is the most recent Resume that I possess. Any and all help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Attached File  DarrylHissem___GISResume.pdf   187.89KB   43 downloads
Darryl Hissem
"The virtue of maps, they show what can be done!"

BioGeoMan

BioGeoMan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • United States

I would start here:

http://www.gjc.org/gjc-cgi/listjobs.pl

There always seems to be positions open, especially if you are willing to relocate.

Michael Scisco

BioGeoCreations
Albuquerque, NM

505-603-3636
biogeocreations.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->