• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

gregsd

gregsd

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, mostly off-road (MTB) riding.
  • United Kingdom

Just wondered what people on here thought about this type graphic to display information about the number of events that have occurred over a 7-day period, broken down hour-by-hour?

[attachment=304:attachment]

Do you think it's an effect way of presenting this data, compared to say a conventional graph or bar-chart?

Any comments much appreciated.

Greg

Greg Driver

GIS Analyst
MapInfo User...!

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,884 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I found this one especially easy to read (and was quite amazed by the results). A very interesting way of presenting the information, but it works for me.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Polaris

Polaris

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Interests:Making maps and data graphics!<br />Paddling<br />Hiking<br />Gardening<br />Natural Philosophy<br />Loved Ones
  • United States

I like it - especially the clock analogy. I found it easy to read and to grasp patterns - much better than a bar chart could I think.

...my $0.02

e

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic &amp; Kite Photography
  • United States

Two comments.

It can be misleading since your sections are not even, thus the eye is drawn (at least my eye) is drawn towards the outer ring sections which are larger. But since your data in not ordinal this may not be appropriate. All days are even in this analysis right?

Intuitively I also want to see each day as a column...have you tried dividing your pie into seven sections with 24 divisions inside? (i.e. the reverse). probably not worth it...

Rob

Rob

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:anything outside.
  • United States

i'd second martin's comment about the different sizes for different days. plus i'd mention that i was not at all getting what the 0-23 where for until I saw Polaris' clock analogy comment. Perhaps a reworked title that also mentioned hour of day in addition to day of the week. I think if you made a bar chart with days on the Y, hour on the X, and quanity with a color variable you might just nail it.

good luck.

rob

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,310 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

I think I would prefer a bar chart... One almost have to seem two alternatives next to each other to choose....
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

gregsd

gregsd

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, mostly off-road (MTB) riding.
  • United Kingdom

Thanks for all of your comments. I must admit I had the same misgivings as Martin re the different size of the sections for the different days. I do like the clock analogy though, but one of our Crime Analysts thought that it was over-complicated and that our police officers wouldn’t understand it compared to the type of bar-charts they currently use!

Greg Driver

GIS Analyst
MapInfo User...!

Kartograph

Kartograph

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Germany

Very creative graphic, I really like the idea.
Make seven clocks and the officers will get it instantly how to read it.
My main point is, that you are violating Bertin´s rule on colour use.

According to Bertin, if you want to express real/interval scaled data (as the exact number of burglaries is) you are only allowed to use size as a graphic variable, not hue (colour) or brightness.

If you want to faithfully display classified/ordinal data, you may do so with brightness.
What you are doing is using brightness AND Colour. Colour change is suggesting a qualitative change. Like the change from arid to humid climate or freezing temparatures vs. warmer temperatures.

BUT: As my rant on another thread tried to point out, IF you actually do not want to portray the data faithfully, or you are told that your last and second last class have to stand out as of being of a different quality, than your decision was right.
Usually though I´m a big proponent of using only one colour in a graphic like this.
No need to use two graphic variables when the data changes only one dimension.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->