11 replies to this topic

mfarmer

mfarmer

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • United States

Here for your critique is a map that I have made for an RC&D council coordinator for a local river basin. I used ArcMap 9.3.something exclusively. The purpose of this map will be to mark (with good ol' adhesive dots) stream projects within the basin. Limiting the streams and roads to the basin boundaries was specified by the user. I will appreciate your comments.

Michael Schmeling

Michael Schmeling

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Germany

I will appreciate your comments.

You can have them if you show us the map :D
Michael Schmeling
Kassel, Germany
Arid Ocean Map Illustrations
http://maps.aridocean.com
Indie Cartographer
http://www.indiecartographer.com

mfarmer

mfarmer

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • United States

This is my first time posting a map, and I'm not figuring out how to get the upload function to work. I browse for the file, click upload, and nothing happens. The file I'm trying to upload is 883 K.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,881 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

This is my first time posting a map, and I'm not figuring out how to get the upload function to work. I browse for the file, click upload, and nothing happens. The file I'm trying to upload is 883 K.

After uploading, it'll appear in the box immediately about the upload button, the one that says "Manage Current Attachments". From there you have to add it into your post.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

mfarmer

mfarmer

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • United States

After uploading, it'll appear in the box immediately about the upload button, the one that says "Manage Current Attachments". From there you have to add it into your post.

After it churns through uploading, the "Manage Current Attachments" box still indicates that there are no attachments. Neither Firefox nor Internet Explorer would allow me to attach the map ("Manage Current Attachments (0)"). Firefox gave no indications of the error; Internet Explorer returned this javascript error:
--------------------
Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.30; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; InfoPath.3)
Timestamp: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 20:32:50 UTC

Line: 1
Char: 8210
Code: 0
URI: http://www.cartotalk...s/ips_attach.js
--------------------

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,881 posts
  • Netherlands

What file format is it? JPG, GIF, PNG and PDF are supported. Can you email it to me (hans-at-redgeographics-dot-com)?
Red Geographics

mfarmer

mfarmer

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • United States

It's a png file, and I emailed it to you; thank you. FWIW the "Attachment system ready" check box remained green after I specified the file. To check that system, I browsed to a jpeg file that was over the 1 MB size limit and the check box turned red, rejecting that proposed upload.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,881 posts
  • Netherlands

It's a png file, and I emailed it to you; thank you. FWIW the "Attachment system ready" check box remained green after I specified the file. To check that system, I browsed to a jpeg file that was over the 1 MB size limit and the check box turned red, rejecting that proposed upload.

Here you go. It wouldn't do the PNG for me either, so I saved it as a JPG instead.
Attached File  BasinMap.jpg   2.39MB   157 downloads
Red Geographics

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

First thing that jumps out to me are the counties, and not necessarily the counties w/i your watershed. Maybe you could try to remove some or tone them down a bit.

Why use the same icon for two different features? You did it twice with State/Fed Hwys and the Grasslands.

Just for the fun of it I spent about 2 minutes looking for the Sipsey Wilderness. If it is important (which I will assume since it is on your map), then it should be easier to recognize.

Have you tried using the Medium Resolution waterbodies? There is a lot of detail that is distracting.

This may be on the digital copy only, but I can't read any of the stream names and towns for that matter.

Check I-22, it didn't get clipped.

Hope that helps,
kru
"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

mfarmer

mfarmer

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • United States

Thanks for your comments, razornole.

One of the main criteria for the map was that it not take long to produce. (I've already spent more time trying to upload it here than I spent making it.) :) So not masking the non-watershed counties was the first style element to go.

If you're referring to Hwy 78 having both US and AL Highway markers, that is actually the case now, as far as I understand it. But I-22 not officially an interstate yet. So I guess I'm being inconsistent there, but that's an inconsistency this map's user's understand. Or did I do that with another highway?

The main user of this map wanted national forests located, but not obtrusively so. That's why I used the cropland symbology with changed colors and transparent background. Likewise with the Sipsey Wilderness, map users will know in general where it is, so wanted just a subtle change in color for it's identification. And besides, I had the data so I thought I'd use it.

The question of using different resolutions of (mainly) water features is one I've been pondering since it came up here on Cartotalk recently. I'm trying to weigh the uses of the data within an organizational context. (For example, I've been explaining for several years that yes, I can make 2 foot contours from 1/3 arc second seamless DEM data, but they'll be meaningless. Scale is hard for lots of folks to understand.) So, I went with what I had, which was from the NHD.

The legibility of stream names is an issue with the digital copy. I was worried most about their legibility in the darkest colored watershed, but the main user is happy with the result.

Thanks for the note on I-22. That's one of the things that I overlooked because I was looking too closesly.

Thanks again for your comments. I've commented on several maps now, so I thought it was time for me to put one up.

raenaDIGS

raenaDIGS

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:GIS-related: Cartography and GIS related to anthropology, archaeology, and the social sciences. 3D and Spatial Analyst Extensions (ESRI).

Non-GIS-related: organic gardening, urban farming, knitting, tatting, vegan baking, climbing, stained glass, urban decay, historic architecture, historic preservation, hiking, backpacking, crafts, and general DYI home repair
  • United States

Hi there, In spending a minute looking at this map as a whole, without zooming in or scrutinizing, I just have a few overview-type comments:

Consider an inset map showing the region or state that the subject basin is located within. There's definitely enough space in your map to place an inset. Of course, adding this depends on the purpose and audience of the map. Visually, I feel it would help break up the large number of counties that surround your basin.

The sizing of your north arrow (huge, heavy and dark) and your scale bar (so tiny and "light" that you have to zoom way in to read it) could be played with a little bit.

I'm curious: how long did you spend making this map? I completely understand the need to balance time spent (low cost) with value-added for client purposes, so depending on what they need and want you may not be able to spend much time tweaking this.

Good luck!

raena
raena demaris
raena@demarisgis.com
www.demarisgis.com

mfarmer

mfarmer

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • United States

Raena,

I agree about the inset map. The north arrow and scale bar were, I hate to admit it, kind of afterthoughts ... "Oh yeah, I need those." I spent two or three hours on this map. The quick turnaround time was more a function of office dynamics than anything.

The map's already been laminated and is serving its purpose, but when I get a couple more hours I'll take the comments from here to improve it, so that when it wears out in two or three years they can print a better map.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->