• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Richard

Richard

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Surveying, Bushwalking<br />As a kid mapping has always interested me.<br />Main mapping is for a local rivercare group - Mount Roland Rivercare Catchment Inc.<br />Use Manifold, AICS with MAPublisher and CanvasX GIS and field book and pencil.
  • Australia

I am playing about with my own font for CAD use and would like a decimal point to be in the middle of the line as opposed to bottom of line. (probably not correct terminology).
Is there a difference between the keyboard characters on a full keyboard. The . which is on same key as > as opposed to the . which is on the numeric keypad? There doesn't appear to be but ask anyway.
Input appreciated thanks

pghardy

pghardy

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • United Kingdom

I am playing about with my own font for CAD use and would like a decimal point to be in the middle of the line as opposed to bottom of line. (probably not correct terminology).
Is there a difference between the keyboard characters on a full keyboard. The . which is on same key as > as opposed to the . which is on the numeric keypad?

Not answering your direct question, but be aware that the centred dot is a character in its own right. It is available in Unicode fonts at U+00B7, and in other code page fonts at various locations.

See Interpunct on Wikipedia. In modern usage it is vital to writing the Catalan language, as Paral·lel is different to Parallel, as a double ell is pronounced as a 'y' sound.

--
Paul Hardy
ESRI Europe (phardy@esri.com)

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

Most operating systems and software interpret the two keys the same way, but you can often map them separately in your software.
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

Richard

Richard

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Surveying, Bushwalking<br />As a kid mapping has always interested me.<br />Main mapping is for a local rivercare group - Mount Roland Rivercare Catchment Inc.<br />Use Manifold, AICS with MAPublisher and CanvasX GIS and field book and pencil.
  • Australia

thanks for replies.
I wasn't aware it is a unique character.
This is an interesting excercise but I'm enjoying it (so far).

I'll check out the keyboard mapping bit too.
regards

P.Raposo

P.Raposo

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • United States

Just a note: a single dot in the vertical center of the line (character map in Windows calls this the "bullet operator") means multiplication in some styles of mathematical notation (i.e., equivalent to the common × symbol).

Richard

Richard

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Australia

Thanks P.Raposo, my font is for surveying use with a 'hand written' feel and I write numbers with the decimal centred.
It certainly won't get mixed up with maths notations at this end.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->