- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

kellyk

kellyk

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Mexico

I'm a bit of GIS beginner, I'd appreciate any and all advice. I'm using ArcGIS 10.

I'm trying to geocode a set of data I have only using zip codes in Mexico City. I was able to find data that had zip codes in Mexico City listing their lat/long, it was an excel doc and I've converted it into a shape file. Basically, how do I geocode this? I've been reading tutorials, but am having trouble because most of them are based on geocoding of US addresss. When creating an address locator, what style should I be using, the general-single field? What about reference data, the shape file I made? If anyone can point to any tutorials or offer me advice on where to go or where I'm goin wrong, I would highly appreciate it.

Thank you

Lego

Lego

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Uganda

Hullo kelly
Well, by you saying you hv the lat/long accompanying the zip, then mostly probably that data is already geocoded by someone (presumably not you) because that is the goal of geocoding. For starters anyway, geocoding requires two sets of data; the address data (which is a table containing the addresses you need to geocode) and the reference data set (which is a shape file depicting the area extent of your addresses, in this case it should a polygon shape, since you talking Zips). The polygon shapefile should be an area in Mexico, not the US. By the way, does your excel table have any other data like house numbers, street names…? If not, then the style may be one of the US-Zips with some customizations. You can also check out the tutorials that come along with the software though the lower versions: 9.2, 9.3 or 9.3.1. 10 doesn’t have these tutorials

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->