• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  • Germany

Quick question:

Does Manifold have a SVG export?
If so, is it any good?
How are coordinates handled?

Sofar I have used Global Mapper (which has an excellent SVG export), but I´m getting more and more intrigued with Manifold.

Thank you,

Andreas

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

I don't know about Manifold, bu I heard not that long ago that ArcGIS 9.2 is going to fully support SVG.

You have been able to export SVG since 9.0, but graphics only - no data. I wonder how such a feature is going to evolve alongside ArcIMS and their other their web services?

Oregon Metro - Portland, OR
www.oregonmetro.gov

mdsumner

mdsumner

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Australia

No it doesn't, but some have written scripts to do it. This was submitted to georeference.org some time ago:

http://www.georefere...ic/Default.aspx

I'm sure there was a more comprehensive and general submission at some other time, but I would have to look a bit harder - perhaps on Manifold-L.

Kartograph

Kartograph

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  • Germany

Thank you for your hints.
ArcGIS is not an option due to pricing. And if export has to be scripted, I fare better with PHP/PostgreSQL option.
But if things are included in Manifold in the Future, that might be a viable option.

Regards,

Andreas

EDIT:
Could you post or PM me an example of an ArcGIS SVG export? That would be very helpful! Thanks again.

araki5

araki5

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:GIS/MAPSERVER/OSSIM/GDAL
  • United States

I'm looking into Manifold too. I want to put that into my arsenal of proggies that I know.
I have Global Mapper 6, and ARCGis 9.1, and AutoCAD Map. They all have their strong points, but GM by far is worth it's weight in gold. Georeferenceing and reprojecting is sooooo easy with GM. Too bad ARCGis and AutoCad map aren't that easy.

I'm wondering how Manifold handles reprjections? Does it use the tfw or the prj format? Or both?
Also, I read (on their site) that their raster capabilities(out of the box) are way better than ARCGIS.

I just got to wait another month and I'll have the $250.
Randy Long
GIS/CAD Tech
Mackay and Somps

Raster is Faster, but Vector is Corrector.

mdsumner

mdsumner

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Australia

I'm wondering how Manifold handles reprjections? Does it use the tfw or the prj format? Or both?
Also, I read (on their site) that their raster capabilities(out of the box) are way better than ARCGIS.

Manifold supports the (partial) georeferencing metadata present in world files in some cases - it depends on what else is available for the given format. Manifold supports the (somtimes complete) metadata found in .prj files - with an open invitation to submit unrecognized prj formats as they are found, to be incorporated.

For reprojecting the data are handled independently of the format from which they are imported, and on export the world or prj files or whatever are created as per the export format, but also every Manifold export is accompanied by a complete projection metadata file in xml - that the Manifold import supports. (It effectively makes any export/re-import operation in Manifold completely projection-metadata robust, despite format vagaries).

Crucial to using Manifold with projections is to understand the three very distinct applications:

Edit - Projection: changing projections
Edit - Projection Current Projection: interpreting projection metadata
View Projection: changing the projection with which any components may be viewed together in a map

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->