Photo

Any easy way to make a gridded cartogram?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Mapper71

Mapper71

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • United States

Cartograms hurt my head! I need to create one for a project I'm working on. I was hoping I'd be able to use the scrap they gave me and trace it, but it's b/w and difficult to read and it's for the wrong year (see attachment for what I need to recreate).

I haven't created a cartogram from scratch for several years and I know I almost lost my mind trying to matchup the states and then also trying to get them to look somewhat like their actual shape. I was literally counting squares and recounting squares and then having to get rid of a couple and not having the states match up after that. I don't have GIS, but was wondering if there are any programs out there (preferably free) that I could use to help create one?

Thanks!

Attached Files

Darren Cope

Darren Cope

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Canada

Cartograms hurt my head! I need to create one for a project I'm working on. I was hoping I'd be able to use the scrap they gave me and trace it, but it's b/w and difficult to read and it's for the wrong year (see attachment for what I need to recreate).

I haven't created a cartogram from scratch for several years and I know I almost lost my mind trying to matchup the states and then also trying to get them to look somewhat like their actual shape. I was literally counting squares and recounting squares and then having to get rid of a couple and not having the states match up after that. I don't have GIS, but was wondering if there are any programs out there (preferably free) that I could use to help create one?

Thanks!

You want to try ScapeToad - http://scapetoad.choros.ch/

There's also a cartogram plugin for QGIS if you are inclined to go that way, although I have found ScapeToad has more flexibility.

gregsd

gregsd

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, mostly off-road (MTB) riding.
  • United Kingdom

Thanks!

I've not used it but I think Indiemapper can create cartograms. The folks behind it have kindly made it free, so it might be worth having a look.

Greg.

Greg Driver

GIS Analyst
MapInfo User...!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->