• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Yates Pharr

Yates Pharr

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United States

Hello: I am the Director of Falling Creek Camp, a traditional boys summer camp in the mountains of western North Carolina. We are blessed to be situated on 525 acres and I am interested in gaining assistance from a cartographer to create a new series of maps for camp. We have lots of trails that I am especially interested in laying out in a user-friendly manner. Having not been involved in this process before, I want to make sure that any interested cartographer has the information they need. I have a NatGeo TOPO file that I can forward which illustrates the trails I imported by using a Garmin Oregon 400t GPS. I also have the individual .gpx files that I used to import to the TOPO program. Not sure if this is a good way to show you what I’d like to start with to begin to create the map I mentioned above? We are beginning the creation of another set of trails totaling about 1.8 miles in about a week. I am personally very excited to be getting this map process going. I also have a .dwg file that includes the core area of the camp with the building improvements and roads. I am interested in the map to look like the Huntsville, TX state park map. See link here - http://www.tpwd.stat..._p4505_044d.pdf. We like the sketches and educational pieces on it, while also keeping it a precise map that includes topo and is "to scale". Because there will be different purposes for the maps, there will likely be different versions needed. For example, we need a camp map that identifies all of the locations of the builds, cabins and activities and also need to have a map ready for use to follow trails and find adventure racing orienteering flags placed out on the property by plotting UTM's. Our hope is to have the maps ready by May 1, 2012. If you are interested in talking to us about assisting us with this project, please contact me at yates@fallingcreek.com. I look forward to hearing from you to discuss what your thoughts are on how you could propose a plan and provide estimated pricing/schedule. Many thanks and Happy New Year! - Yates Pharr, Director

Yates Pharr

Yates Pharr

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United States

Hello Interested Cartographers,
I very much appreciate your interest. I had several companies that responded quickly after I posted this need with offers to do the project. After careful review and conversations, I signed on with Kristian of Underwood Geographics and am very pleased with his work. Thank you to those who expressed your interest and best wishes to you and your business! - Yates Pharr, Falling Creek Camp

Hello: I am the Director of Falling Creek Camp, a traditional boys summer camp in the mountains of western North Carolina. We are blessed to be situated on 525 acres and I am interested in gaining assistance from a cartographer to create a new series of maps for camp. We have lots of trails that I am especially interested in laying out in a user-friendly manner. Having not been involved in this process before, I want to make sure that any interested cartographer has the information they need. I have a NatGeo TOPO file that I can forward which illustrates the trails I imported by using a Garmin Oregon 400t GPS. I also have the individual .gpx files that I used to import to the TOPO program. Not sure if this is a good way to show you what I’d like to start with to begin to create the map I mentioned above? We are beginning the creation of another set of trails totaling about 1.8 miles in about a week. I am personally very excited to be getting this map process going. I also have a .dwg file that includes the core area of the camp with the building improvements and roads. I am interested in the map to look like the Huntsville, TX state park map. See link here - http://www.tpwd.stat..._p4505_044d.pdf. We like the sketches and educational pieces on it, while also keeping it a precise map that includes topo and is "to scale". Because there will be different purposes for the maps, there will likely be different versions needed. For example, we need a camp map that identifies all of the locations of the builds, cabins and activities and also need to have a map ready for use to follow trails and find adventure racing orienteering flags placed out on the property by plotting UTM's. Our hope is to have the maps ready by May 1, 2012. If you are interested in talking to us about assisting us with this project, please contact me at yates@fallingcreek.com. I look forward to hearing from you to discuss what your thoughts are on how you could propose a plan and provide estimated pricing/schedule. Many thanks and Happy New Year! - Yates Pharr, Director

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Thanks for the update, Yates. Nice to hear you found somebody through Cartotalk to make the map for you. Any chance we can see (a part of) the final result?
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->