5 replies to this topic

magictune

magictune

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Yugoslavia

Hello, people. Based on a growing interest for recent events in that country, I have recently assembled a map of Syria for a web magazine. I hope you won't mind the fact that it's not in English. All suggestions and notes are welcome.

Posted Image

mapfax

mapfax

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • United States

Good map, and it reminds me of one that National Geographic published in December 2008 (a portion of this map is attached). This map focuses on Syria's diverse physiography and large urban areas. Major archaeological ruins are also shown for tourists; of course, tourists are largely absent now. David

P.Raposo

P.Raposo

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • United States

Hi magictune,
Nice map! I like the fonts and labels - they're sized okay as long as people will be able to see this map at full size. I like the clean line work. Timely subject too.
Some suggestions:
You could make the "Sirija" label much larger, and spread across the country territory; or, since it's in the title, omit it altogether.
That last suggestion would work best if there was greater figure/ground difference between Syria and the other countries visible. You could wash-out the other territories, for example.
You could make the national borders more noticeable, particularly since this is a reference map for a country; might be less important if you do something else to make Syria more visually prominent over its neighbors.
The DEM you use for the hillshade is a little coarse for the map at full size; maybe resample it at 1/2 the cell size or so and do the hill shade again?
Might make the "Damask" city label larger.
Texture fill with the light green dots is a little faint.
Are the dotted gray lines counties (or some other equivalent admin boundary)? If so, you might associate them with their labels by using a common color.
Cheers, thanks for sharing :)
P

magictune

magictune

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Yugoslavia

Thank you all for your kind suggestions.

As for the hillshade, I'm not satisfied myself with the looks at this scale ... I will indeed go with more detailed data for the next map ... and thank you for this notice about mismatch about administrative borders and their labels, I'll pay attention next time !

magictune

magictune

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Yugoslavia

Good map, and it reminds me of one that National Geographic published in December 2008 (a portion of this map is attached). This map focuses on Syria's diverse physiography and large urban areas. Major archaeological ruins are also shown for tourists; of course, tourists are largely absent now. David

Thanks for the kind words. I'm honestly interested to see this map, yet, for some reason, I can not see this attachment .. I mean, I see the plain text (info about map image), but no link to it ...

mapfax

mapfax

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • United States

Thanks for the kind words. I'm honestly interested to see this map, yet, for some reason, I can not see this attachment .. I mean, I see the plain text (info about map image), but no link to it ...

I will try a smaller attachment, but you can also buy the map on Amazon (http://www.amazon.co...c/dp/B00246PM0Q).Attached File  syria_NGmap.png   726.32KB   64 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->