burwelbo

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, Hiking, Travel
  • Canada

Hello

I have created a poster sized satellite image map using ArcMap 9.3.1. I would like to now add some photographs to the layout using Photoshop. What would be the best format and resolution to export from? I have tried both jpeg and tiff at high resolutions and I am just not satisfied.

Any advice?

Thanks

Bruce Burwell

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,836 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I have created a poster sized satellite image map using ArcMap 9.3.1. I would like to now add some photographs to the layout using Photoshop. What would be the best format and resolution to export from? I have tried both jpeg and tiff at high resolutions and I am just not satisfied.

Maybe PDF and then rasterize it in Photoshop? Or keep it as a PDF and add the additional photos and other layout elements in Illustrator or Indesign (if you have access to those).
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

burwelbo

burwelbo

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, Hiking, Travel
  • Canada

Thanks I will try that. I find PDF generally looks best on screen. I ill try bringing in a PDF file into Illustrator.

mfarmer

mfarmer

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • United States

Make sure that your output resolution is divisible by 72. For some applications a dpi of 72 is just as good as a dpi of 360; in other applications it's not. I'm sorry I don't have a rule of thumb to go by, except to remember the number 72.

French cartographer

French cartographer

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, Training
  • France

Hello,

To do that, i think Hans has a good solution: export your MXD to PDF and open it with Photoshop. That's the way i use. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->