burwelbo

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, Hiking, Travel
  • Canada

Hello

I have created a poster sized satellite image map using ArcMap 9.3.1. I would like to now add some photographs to the layout using Photoshop. What would be the best format and resolution to export from? I have tried both jpeg and tiff at high resolutions and I am just not satisfied.

Any advice?

Thanks

Bruce Burwell

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,007 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I have created a poster sized satellite image map using ArcMap 9.3.1. I would like to now add some photographs to the layout using Photoshop. What would be the best format and resolution to export from? I have tried both jpeg and tiff at high resolutions and I am just not satisfied.

Maybe PDF and then rasterize it in Photoshop? Or keep it as a PDF and add the additional photos and other layout elements in Illustrator or Indesign (if you have access to those).
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

burwelbo

burwelbo

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, Hiking, Travel
  • Canada

Thanks I will try that. I find PDF generally looks best on screen. I ill try bringing in a PDF file into Illustrator.

mfarmer

mfarmer

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • United States

Make sure that your output resolution is divisible by 72. For some applications a dpi of 72 is just as good as a dpi of 360; in other applications it's not. I'm sorry I don't have a rule of thumb to go by, except to remember the number 72.

French cartographer

French cartographer

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, Training
  • France

Hello,

To do that, i think Hans has a good solution: export your MXD to PDF and open it with Photoshop. That's the way i use. ;)

Curry

Curry

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Japan

Hi Bruce,

plz try to save as PDF generally looks better on screen.
Or, you could created your own proejct by using SuperGIS Desktop 3.3.
It can keep good quality to export your map.
it's frinedly interface and easily operation.
I can eaily add some photographs and text box to the layout.

Best regards, :lol:

souvik.gis

souvik.gis

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:GIS, Cartography,Music
  • India

According to my experience Pdf may not be the suitable one as pdf file also uses some compression methods. You can use uncompressed tiff with 600 or greater resolution or BMP as both of them are not compressed format.

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

I'm a little unclear on what you're exporting from Arc.  

If it's satellite imagery, that should be in a raster format such as JPEG or TIFF.  The amount of compression will affect both file size and how it looks.

If it's map linework, that should stay in a vector format such as Illustrator or SVG.  You may need to pay attention to whether the lines and labels are using an RGB or CMYK color model.  For printing, you generally want CMYK, but if you don't know what to watch out for, the export process might turn an ordinary black streetname into a "rich black" CMYK formula that improperly uses all four inks.

PDF is a vector format, but will allow raster images to be contained within it.  Depending on what software writes the PDF, and the settings, compression or a different color model might be introduced at that stage.  PDF is not a good way to move raster imagery from Arc to InDesign or Photoshop.

When I'm working on a project that has both linework and raster imagery (such as hillshading), I make two exports: one of linework only, which I further manipulate in Illustrator to ensure proper color builds and typographic niceties, and a second export of raster imagery only (which I may well manipulate a bit in Photoshop).  The two are easily registered in Illustrator or InDesign using the Arc frame.

Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->