• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Josh

Josh

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:wild mushrooms, kites & kite boarding, climbing, bouldering, graphic design, dive bars, dive restaurants, diving, museums, movies from the 70z, downloading music that i'll never listen to, politics, bitching about politics, comics (yes...i still read comics but i don't have a star trek outfit), project management, cute girls walking down the street, a perfect latte, good wine (bad wine too), and all that keeps me entertained during the day.
  • United States

So here is a brief summery of what I am looking for and why:

I just started working at a new company (small publisher) and I am stepping neck deep into a project that is already underway. My new company has been asked to include approx 20 something city level maps for a custom 9x12 atlas. This is a tall order for the couple of graphic designers and myself who works here. SOOOOOO
I am kicking around the idea of buying 20 city level maps with full redistribution rights etc...in order to meet the clients latest request. I would need to have them in Illustrator so we can stylize them to go with our already completed country maps.

Does anyone here have such a collection for sale or recommend where I may research such a request.

the cities range from Tokyo/Yokohama to Dallas TX.. I would like to have a simple level of detail:
urbanized area
rivers
major roads (labeled)
parks
airports
......similar to the level of detail on the back of a telephone book (maybe more).
If anyone can steer me in the right directions that would be fantastic!!
Thanks,
Josh

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,839 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Does anyone here have such a collection for sale or recommend where I may research such a request.

the cities range from Tokyo/Yokohama to Dallas TX.. I would like to have a simple level of detail:
urbanized area
rivers
major roads (labeled)
parks
airports
......similar to the level of detail on the back of a telephone book (maybe more).
If anyone can steer me in the right directions that would be fantastic!!
Thanks,
Josh

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The trouble here is that you have cities in different countries, this means you'll have to look for a commercial source. Tele Atlas and Navtech are companies that spring to mind, but they are expensive and probabely won't deliver a finished map but rather a set of shapefiles.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic &amp; Kite Photography
  • United States

I would suggest Maps.com

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

I have drawn nearly all large US cities. Give me a call at 312 322 0900 and perhaps I could assist.
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

Josh

Josh

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:wild mushrooms, kites &amp; kite boarding, climbing, bouldering, graphic design, dive bars, dive restaurants, diving, museums, movies from the 70z, downloading music that i'll never listen to, politics, bitching about politics, comics (yes...i still read comics but i don't have a star trek outfit), project management, cute girls walking down the street, a perfect latte, good wine (bad wine too), and all that keeps me entertained during the day.
  • United States

The trouble here is that you have cities in different countries,

Yeah that is my main concern with trying to do this in a timely fashion. One stop, affordable shopping doesn't seem to exist just yet for GIS data....thanks for the recomendations

Ted Florence

Ted Florence

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Interests:Making great mapping software.
  • Canada

Have a look at our MajorCitiesUSA product of Adobe Illustrator products for the top cities in the US. They are royalty-free, reasonably priced and form a great base for what you are trying to do.
www.avenza.com

Ted Florence

Avenza Systems Inc.

When Map Quality Matters ®

www.avenza.com

Cartographic and spatial imaging solutions for Adobe Creative Suite

Mobile mapping solutions for using, selling and distributing maps to mobile devices

mp_logo.gif    gi_logo.gifpdf-maps-icon.png

Josh

Josh

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:wild mushrooms, kites &amp; kite boarding, climbing, bouldering, graphic design, dive bars, dive restaurants, diving, museums, movies from the 70z, downloading music that i'll never listen to, politics, bitching about politics, comics (yes...i still read comics but i don't have a star trek outfit), project management, cute girls walking down the street, a perfect latte, good wine (bad wine too), and all that keeps me entertained during the day.
  • United States

Have a look at our MajorCitiesUSA product of Adobe Illustrator products for the top cities in the US. They are royalty-free, reasonably priced and form a great base for what you are trying to do.
www.avenza.com

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

that is fantastic for US cities!!! thanks!

Claude

Claude

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • United States

one of my coworkers used MapQuest for a similar project once, might be worth checking in with them.
Platts, a div. of McGraw-Hill
www.maps.platts.com

ekremalimli

ekremalimli

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Turkey
I can help about the map of Istanbul, if needed.

Ekrem

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->