• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Mirka

Mirka

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Czech Republic

Hello,

I would like you to ask for advice. I transferred the data from the GPS format to shp, I match them with coordinate system. Now I have a regular layer in the right place in the map layer in ArcMap, but I have a problem. All lines are combined into a single line with many names, though I charted each layer separately and I each named each separately. If I mark a one line in the atribut table, highlight all the lines of the map. Does not help either the function "symbology".

So now I can not distinguish individual lines mapped, though I do not know where one line ends and the second line begins.

Thank you for your answer in advice and I´m apologize for my english.

Mirka

Posted Image

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts
  • United States

This is not really my area of expertise so this is just a suggestion, but could it be it's a multipart feature? In ArcGIS 10.x (and probably 9.x) there is a tool in Toolbox called "multipart to singlepart" that splits up a layer with multipart features into singlepart features.
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Gretchen Peterson

Gretchen Peterson

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • United States

If you send me the shapefile I will take a look and see if I can help. gretchen at petersongis dot com.

Mirka

Mirka

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Czech Republic

If you send me the shapefile I will take a look and see if I can help. gretchen at petersongis dot com.

Hello Gretchen, thank you very much for your kind help. I sent you two shapefiles from two nearby localities, where I was mapping. Location is all right, but both consist of less polylines than which I was mapping. I sent you it by "sendspace" because of big size.

Thank you again.

Mirka

Mirka

Mirka

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Czech Republic

This is not really my area of expertise so this is just a suggestion, but could it be it's a multipart feature? In ArcGIS 10.x (and probably 9.x) there is a tool in Toolbox called "multipart to singlepart" that splits up a layer with multipart features into singlepart features.

Hello Dave,

I found this tool in Toolbox, but It didn´t help me. Nevertheless, thank you very much for your help!

Have a nice day.

Mirka

Gretchen Peterson

Gretchen Peterson

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • United States

I've taken a look at the data you sent. I may have found a solution or might not - I'll email you the results. For those reading this thread...Mirka's shapefile is a Polyline ZM that appears to be in a jumble. In the NAME field we've got some features named by date/time and others by the name that Mirka gave them (presumably while out in the field). I've used ET Geowizards Clean Polyline tool and then dissolved on the NAME field. This gives non-overlapping line segments that have the same date/time. It may or may not be what you need. If it isn't, the only other option that I see is to split the polylines by vertices and then manually edit the shapefile by deleting overlaps and combining the right segments together.

Esther Mandeno

Esther Mandeno

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • United States

It looks to me that Mirka exported the GPS file incorrectly. Did you use Trimble's Pathfinder Office software? If so, there's an option to export features and/or positions not in features. It looks to me that you exported everything when it might have been better to just export the features.

But I'm not sure. Just a thought. Good luck!
------
Esther Mandeno
Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

Mirka

Mirka

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Czech Republic

It looks to me that Mirka exported the GPS file incorrectly. Did you use Trimble's Pathfinder Office software? If so, there's an option to export features and/or positions not in features. It looks to me that you exported everything when it might have been better to just export the features.

But I'm not sure. Just a thought. Good luck!

I don´t use Trimble´s Pathfnder Office software. I have downloaded the software "ExpertGPS" for these purposes. Tracks are involved in this software before converting. The problem will be probably in the GPS. I tried also export each track separately. It didn´t help me. I am looking for a solution by way of ArcGIS or software for the conversion GPS files to shapefiles. Elsewhere I see no solution. But I'm glad for any advice. Thank you a lot for yours.

Mirka

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->