• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

clickinaway

clickinaway

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • No Country Selected

I've created several bump maps over the past year and have been quite pleased with the results. Unfortunately, i'm confined strictly to an ArcMap environment. :rolleyes:

Generally, the products i'm producing will have a subject property (large land ownership 50,000 to 100,000 Acres) which needs to be the focal point of the map. I'm trying to find a way to display the subject property and still have it be prominent but not impede with the vegetation/bump effect.

Pardon the poor quality image (its just a portion of a much larger layout).

Any creative suggestions?

I"m toying with the idea of doing a multiple buffer 'ring' inside the boundaries but only for a short distance to create something like a vignette frame.

Attached Files

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

I think a vignette would be a mistake. Straight boundaries such as this are easy for the eye to follow with a very thin line, and the only reason to even have different shading or coloring is to distinguish inside from outside, which can be problematic with checkerboard or inholding ownership patterns. My personal inclination would be to add a gray or khaki "darkening" to the area outside the owned area, leaving the area of focus clear and brightly colored.
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

clickinaway

clickinaway

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • No Country Selected

I think a vignette would be a mistake. Straight boundaries such as this are easy for the eye to follow with a very thin line, and the only reason to even have different shading or coloring is to distinguish inside from outside, which can be problematic with checkerboard or inholding ownership patterns. My personal inclination would be to add a gray or khaki "darkening" to the area outside the owned area, leaving the area of focus clear and brightly colored.

Well the checkerboard-ed ownership isn't the norm but your warning about the vignette be taken to heart.

Today i'm having some better results creating a very transparent area within the ownership but sticking it between the vegetation and the hill shade.....so far I like.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->