Photo

Can I do Hatching using Illustrator and Avenza?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Hasan

Hasan

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Syrian Arab Republic

Hi,

I'm still playing with MAPublisher and Geo Imager from Avenza.

And I would like to ask you a question.

Can I do hatching using Avenza products with helping of Illustrator and Photoshop ?
Please tell me how.
And is it possible to define symbols with Pick point ? I know I can make symbols in Illustrator, but "Pick point" ?

Thank you very much.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Hasan,

Can I do hatching using Avenza products with helping of Illustrator and Photoshop ?
Please tell me how.

You can do it in Illustrator, but it has nothing to do with MAPublisher. It's an Illustrator function.

One thing you can do is define a new swatch. Just hatch a large, square, area the way you want it and drag it to the swatches panel.

There should also be a raster effect for it, but I can't seem to find it.

And is it possible to define symbols with Pick point ? I know I can make symbols in Illustrator, but "Pick point" ?

I'm not really sure what you mean by this, could you explain it a bit more?
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Hasan

Hasan

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Syrian Arab Republic

Thank you very much Hans for the tip.

I tried drawing two small vertical lines next to each other and add them as swatch pattern and this is what I got, and it looks fine:
Posted Image

But when I tried to make these two small line diagonal, it gave results like this:
Posted Image

This is not how I wanted it to look like! I wanted it to be connected diagonal line.

And to get good spacing measurement, I used the ruler.

For the "Pick point", look at this:
Posted Image

Thank you very much.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

The first problem is baffling me as well. I remember a dialog box with loads of settings for hatching back in Illustrator 8 or 9, but I can't find it anymore.

As for the symbols, MAPublisher references the center of the symbol object to the actual coordinate. So if you have a point symbol where the reference point is supposed to be somewhere else, you have to create a larger object around it. Give it no fill and no stroke but make sure its center corresponds with the reference point for the symbol. In this sample, the reference point is at the bottom of the stick.

Attached File  sample1.png   15.48KB   113 downloads

Using the same technique, I created the green symbols with black 'cogwheels' on top. They are actually 2 symbols on 2 different layers, indicating 2 levels of information for one single object (a bouy with a radar reflector on top). By making sure the 2 symbols were exactly the same size, I managed to line them up perfectly. Of course this meant I had to provide separate reflector symbols for every different bouy shape, and given that there were 4 levels of information, I'm sure you'll see this was a hell of a job :D

Attached File  symbolen_combineren.jpg   5.37KB   107 downloads
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->