• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

Ted Florence

Ted Florence

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Interests:Making great mapping software.
  • Canada

I am very pleased to inform all Cartotalkers that our award-winning PDF Maps app for iOS (http://www.avenza.com/pdf-maps) now allows for waypoint import and hence sharing of recorded waypoint data.

This means that waypoints and associated data, including photos) can not only be exported from the PDF Maps app but now also imported by others (or yourself) back into any map upon which those points may lie. Points are transferred via KML and KMZ so in addition to creating points in PDF Maps right on an iOS device, you can also create them in Google Earth or in any other software that supports KML/KMZ export, including MAPublisher.

What does this mean?

Well, it means a few things, for example:

1. You can record waypoint data from fieldwork and share it with others in your organization or elsewhere.
2. You can record points of interest from say a trip or outing, like my recent trip to Thailand and Vietnam and share those points with your friends and colleagues. Instead of spending hours explaining to friends where you ate, where you stayed and where you went, you can simply tell them to get your trip waypoint file and add it to PDF Maps.
3. You can prepare packages of points of interest for any particular place and make those available to others either for free or for sale. Imagine, for example, a tourist bureau or hotel concierge making a selection of recommended points available for anyone to download and add to any map in the PDF Maps app.

Point files can be imported via email, iTunes, URL or Dropbox.

As a simple example, I have placed a file here: ftp://liam.avenza.com/pub/misc/Avenza%20Systems%20Inc..kmz that will place the location of the Avenza office on any map of Toronto (or any map that includes Toronto) and symbolize it using the Avenza logo. Just download it and transfer it using any of the means mentioned above or copy the URL into the import waypoint dialog in PDF Maps, or just email the path it to yourself and open it with PDF Maps from the mail client on your iOS device.

I have also attached the file to this post.

Anyway, I am sure that all you brilliant Cartotalkers out there can extrapolate the power of this.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers
Ted

Attached Files

Ted Florence

Avenza Systems Inc.

When Map Quality Matters ®

www.avenza.com

Cartographic and spatial imaging solutions for Adobe Creative Suite

Mobile mapping solutions for using, selling and distributing maps to mobile devices

mp_logo.gif    gi_logo.gifpdf-maps-icon.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->