• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Rhienne

Rhienne

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • United Kingdom

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on what I am doing wrong. I have collected some dGPS data (latitude, longitude and elevation). Lat and long are in the format XX.XXXXXXXXX and elevation data is in the format +/- X.XX m. When I convert this data to a shapefile I am told that my vertical exageration is too high and it has to be modified. Do I need to change the format of my elevation data, and if so, to what?

Melita Kennedy

Melita Kennedy

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • United States

Take a look at this thread, Artifacts Gone, Too Dark, which discusses vertical exaggeration issues.

Basically, the xy (lat/lon) values are in degrees while the elevations are in meters. The software isn't that 3D aware. You can either project the data to a projected coordinate system suitable for the area first, or using a scaling on the Z values.

Hope this helps,
Melita

P.Raposo

P.Raposo

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • United States

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on what I am doing wrong. I have collected some dGPS data (latitude, longitude and elevation). Lat and long are in the format XX.XXXXXXXXX and elevation data is in the format +/- X.XX m. When I convert this data to a shapefile I am told that my vertical exageration is too high and it has to be modified. Do I need to change the format of my elevation data, and if so, to what?

I think another way to go about that, as long as you've got that dGPS data in a table format like excel or csv, is to add it to ArcMap as a table, and then using the "plot x,y" function available by right-clicking on the layer in the table of contents. Plot by your lat and long values, making sure to select the right "coordinate system," which, in Esri's terms, is both a datum and a projection. I think you want something based on the WGS 1984 datum, since that's what GPS uses (I'm slightly uncertain only because I don't know that the "d" is for). Doing this should get you a layer of "events" plotted, which you can export to shapefile, having not changed the values in your elevation column at all.

Also, see that ArcMap keeps that elevation column in a number format like double or float, so you can keep those decimal numbers.

Hope that helps :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->