Daniel Huffman

Daniel Huffman

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • United States

Good denizens of Cartotalk,

I downloaded a hydrography shapefile from INEGI recently, and to my surprise, there were no names associated with any of the features, which renders it less useful than I might have hoped, if I can't check which river is which. Does anyone know where I can find one that does have the names (other than North American Atlas and Natural Earth, which have some errors that I am hoping to correct once I find a source)? Failing that, topo maps would work, too, letting me look up official names of what I'm seeing in my no-name shapefile. I can't seem to find a place to download Mexican topo maps that doesn't want to sell me prints. It's possible that all of this is hidden somewhere in INEGI's site, but I am relying on Google Translate to navigate through it, as I am unfamiliar with Spanish.

If you go to Bing maps and zoom in, they've got names for a fair number of minor Mexican rivers, so these data must be out there in some digital form. Just not sure where.

Charles Syrett

Charles Syrett

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Canada

I haven't looked at the INEGI site in a while, but it could be that they have their topo names in a separate file. That's the way it is for Canadian topo data; there's a shapefile for rivers, and a separate one for names.

Charles Syrett
Map Graphics
http://www.mapgraphics.com

Daniel Huffman

Daniel Huffman

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • United States

Thanks for the tip. It ended up indirectly leading me to a solution this morning. I started browsing around INEGI's site and found a section on Geographic Names, which led me to figure out how to just turn them on in the Mapa Digital de Mexico (using the layers panel, which escaped me despite its obviousness), so that I can browse around and know what I'm looking at. Finally, the rivers I see there are labeled and that's good enough, as I can visually match them up with my shapefile to the extent that I need to get names.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->