- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

stelios

stelios

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Greece

Map created for use by the local authorities.
The main idea is to point out fire risk areas of the Greek island "Lesvos" on the North Aegean.
The final map-result is a weighted summary of two main components (smaller pictures under the main map)
1. high risk areas for humans (road network, parks, towns, camps, monasteries)
2. high risk areas by nature causes (type of vegetation, slope, aspect, mean temp)

In addition the type of vegetation is reclassified in 3 classes (high risk, medium, low) and it is depicted at the third smaller image.
All the above components are summarized (weighted)

Details: DEM (25x25 pixel size), Google image-georeferenced)

Attached Files

• Attached File  fire.jpg   216.81KB   162 downloads

Thad

Thad

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • No Country Selected

The main idea is to point out fire risk areas of the Greek island "Lesvos" on the North Aegean.
The final map-result is a weighted summary of two main components (smaller pictures under the main map)
2. high risk areas by nature causes (type of vegetation, slope, aspect, mean temp)

In addition the type of vegetation is reclassified in 3 classes (high risk, medium, low) and it is depicted at the third smaller image.

I like the layout and I like the topography and oceans. Hard to say too much because I can't read it - but one thing I can add is that you can simplify the fire_risk legend on the right side, and you can do this in two ways.

I would first delete VALUE and Res:4.819 so it just reads Fire Risk.

I like the color scheme but you really only have a few values it seems (low, medium, high) Break this down into three distinct colors (blue, yellow, red). I know the precise values are important to you, but the reader will only care about whether an area is low medium or high risk. (hmm after closer look, I see that you have done this on the bottom maps so not sure if that is a good suggestion or not)

Hope that helps a bit.

P.Raposo

P.Raposo

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • United States

Hi Stelios,

I, also, can't read the Greek, so I can't really say much about the text meaning. You could have your legend all in Greek, instead of having "High" and "Low" in english.

I like most of it, but you could improve that orthoimage a great deal. The left and bottom edges being askew is not something I'm a fan of. I don't know if you're using ArcMap, though it looks like it: you could use an image basemap service, instead of a Google capture, and you wouldn't have to worry about georeferencing it that way either. Here's one, for example: http://www.arcgis.co...f6a7f08febac2a9. Just download the lyr and use it as a layer in your mxd document.

Also, you've got two classes of pattern fill in the legend, but they look identical to me.

Are those labels on the big map I see? If so, they're too small.

Also consider whether you want to put a little transparency on the polygonal/raster areas in the imagery map.

Personally, I like small multiples, like the three maps you have below. Because I can't read Greek, I don't understand what you've done with them in the larger map, but a clear relationship to that larger map and each of the smaller map variables is hard to see. "Summarizing" like that is often really hard to do effectively - but then again, maybe your text clears that up and I wouldn't know! :)

Cheers,
P

Esther Mandeno

Esther Mandeno

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • United States

I wonder...since you can't really see the image beneath the fire risk data, could you just use a hillshade? The image makes it a little too busy.

I agree about getting rid of the layer resolution and converting the rating legend to Greek to be consistent. Otherwise, nice layout. :)
------
Esther Mandeno
Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->