• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

JDM

JDM

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • United States

Our mountain bike club has started developing a new trail network called Page Hill. I've been working to produce a map to help users navigate the trail system. This is my first map, so I welcome your advice.

The source data for the map includes a USGS DEM, tagged vector contours from UNH-GRANIT, GPS data, and traces of aerial imagery. The primary software tool Quantum GIS, but I also used 3DEM, gimp, Inkscape and Topofusion.

Attached File  Page_Hill_Trails.jpg   869.78KB   168 downloads

JDM

JDM

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • United States

I just noticed that I have contour line labels partial covered by the map title, which looks pretty sloppy. I don't have much control of the placement of the labels unless I put each contour line is a separate file. I'm thinking that I'll just eliminate those two.

I should probably also put the major and minor contour lines in the legend so I can identify the units.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

There's a lot of green in this map. Have you considered making the background color in the area outside the park (at least that's what I assume the darker green area is, it's not mentioned in the legend) either white or a very pale green? This would have the added benefit that the contour labels would show up better.

As for the contour labels, it's a bit of a cartographic convention to have them pointing uphill. This will make it much easier to get an idea of the shape of the terrain. You may also want to consider adding spot elevations on the major peaks.

I wouldn't use green for buildings. Red, black or brown are more suitable colors for them.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

JDM

JDM

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • United States

There's a lot of green in this map. Have you considered making the background color in the area outside the park (at least that's what I assume the darker green area is, it's not mentioned in the legend) either white or a very pale green? This would have the added benefit that the contour labels would show up better.

As for the contour labels, it's a bit of a cartographic convention to have them pointing uphill. This will make it much easier to get an idea of the shape of the terrain. You may also want to consider adding spot elevations on the major peaks.

I wouldn't use green for buildings. Red, black or brown are more suitable colors for them.

Thanks for the feedback.

I will try a stronger mask for the area outside of the park. I was worried about the park area not being on the legend, but I'm not sure how to make it show up. I'll see if I can come up with something there.

I was unaware of the contour labeling conventions. I knew mine looked clunky, but wasn't sure what was wrong with them. After reading your post I found this one: http://www.cartotalk...?showtopic=1499.

I'll try some other colors for the buildings.

Bryan Swindell

Bryan Swindell

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • United States

Nice! A few things that might spruce it up:

Is there a parking area at the end of Clough Road? If not, what should folks expect when they get there?

There is an unnamed double-track running along the lower-left of the map. Could you provide 'To xxxx' labels at the ends, so users know where they go? Even better, provide them the name of another map (such as your local Forest Service map) that they could use to pick up where yours leaves off. Along those same lines, a reference (inset) map might be nice, showing where these trails are in relation to the nearest town.

I like to make the labels the same color as the features they refer to. So, maybe make your singletrack labels red and doubletrack labels brown.

Cheers!

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts
  • United States

Think about the message of the map and viisual hierarchy. Right now the paved road and the singletrack trails stand out more than the dirt road and doubletrack trails. Maybe you could label the park right on the map? It's usually better (for map-reading) to label features on the map (and even drop them from the legend), especially when there are a small number of features. Exceptions to that I would consider are for things that are generic and not obvious, or where the legend is showing classification and the labels on the map show name or some other attribute. In this case things like the rock walls or the road and trail and road types, for example.
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

JDM

JDM

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • United States

Is there a parking area at the end of Clough Road?

....Could you provide 'To xxxx' labels at the ends....

...a reference (inset) map might be nice, showing where these trails are in relation to the nearest town.

I like to make the labels the same color as the features they refer to.

There is a parking lot at the end of Clough that I had forgotten about since I never use it. Good catch!

I like the idea of the 'To xxx' at the end; I'll give that at try

I really like the inset, zoomed-out map. I'll try to squeeze it in the the top, right corner.

I'll try recoloring the trail labels.

JDM

JDM

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • United States

Attached is an updated version of the map with many of the suggestions above incorporated.

Attached File  Page_Hill_Trails.jpeg   964.8KB   72 downloads

JDM

JDM

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • United States

I made a few more tweaks based on some input from people on the mountain biking forum. I think I'm going to call it good enough for now. I'll get another chance to refine it next year after we've added more trails. Thanks for all the great feedback!
-Jesse

I'm posting a link to a PNG since the image quality is a little better than the JPGs I've been posting.

2011 Page Hill Trail Map (PNG)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->