- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

platipo

platipo

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Italy

Hello CartoTalk forum members, I'm totally new on this board, I'm not a massive gis user, though I have happened to be using cartographic software for simplifying maps for some traffic simulation software. Now, for pure testing purposes I find myself in need of a very simple polyline shp file; what I need to build is a simple map of 10 polylines intersecting 10 more polylines at regular 200m intervals, forming a sort of a 10x10 square grid, each polyline having 200m extra on both sides, with nodes at each intersection. I suppose there must be some effortless way of doing somethiing this simple, but my ignorance on geographic software is making it more challenging then I suppose it really is. Can you help me? Thank you very much.

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

What tools do you have handy? Or are you looking at setting up (buying) some software?
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

P.Raposo

P.Raposo

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • United States

Hello CartoTalk forum members, I'm totally new on this board, I'm not a massive gis user, though I have happened to be using cartographic software for simplifying maps for some traffic simulation software. Now, for pure testing purposes I find myself in need of a very simple polyline shp file; what I need to build is a simple map of 10 polylines intersecting 10 more polylines at regular 200m intervals, forming a sort of a 10x10 square grid, each polyline having 200m extra on both sides, with nodes at each intersection. I suppose there must be some effortless way of doing somethiing this simple, but my ignorance on geographic software is making it more challenging then I suppose it really is. Can you help me? Thank you very much.

Are you comfortable with plotting points in ArcMap, and then perhaps with creating features in an edit session? If so, you could plot all your desired points from a table you make up in a spreadsheet using coordinates, and then draw lines, probably using "snapping," to connect your points. That would give you a perfect matrix like what you described.

P.Raposo

P.Raposo

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • United States

Ah, sorry, didn't notice the QGIS in the rest of the subject line. I imagine you could probably still do something along the lines of my previous suggestion - I just don't know what those procedures would be called in QGIS, since I've only used it a little.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->