3 replies to this topic

valhalarising

valhalarising

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • United States

Question for you all. I know that I need to learn Python for scripting/automation in ArcGIS. I know if I want to get into web applications/mapping I should learn silverlight, flex, and/or javascript. And also work on mysql and php obviously.

My question therefore is....what else would it behoove me to work on learning? Are any of the above statements incorrect?

Thanks guys.

phs_phl

phs_phl

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • United States

Looks good, I'd add Java and .NET Framework

Edited by phs_phl, 08 November 2011 - 12:57 PM.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,838 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

You'll have to be a bit more specific than just "GIS".

For in-app scripting, Python seems to be the way to go right now. For web applications I'd say php and javascript.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

dsl

dsl

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • United States

Question for you all. I know that I need to learn Python for scripting/automation in ArcGIS. I know if I want to get into web applications/mapping I should learn silverlight, flex, and/or javascript. And also work on mysql and php obviously.

My question therefore is....what else would it behoove me to work on learning? Are any of the above statements incorrect?

Thanks guys.

Python doesn't just work for ArcGIS, you can also use it in QGIS, and OGR/GDAL. Also, python can be used on the backend of webmapping, so it can work across disciplines. I would probably focus on Javascript over the other two. Once you have Javascript, the syntax is similar to Actionscript/Flex, so you can dabble in that too.

Hope that helps,
David

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->