• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

J.Milbrath

J.Milbrath

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • United States

Hello Cartographers,

I am hoping someone out there in the mapping world may be able to assist me in orthorectifying some old aerial images. I purchased a number of aerial photographs dating between 1937-43 from the National Archive for a thesis project only to find a significant lack of metadata. I've had a number of problems trying to orthorectify these images without this information. Has anyone come across this issue? Is there a way to orthorecify these images using the Nadir points and a DEM? I would greatly appreciate any information anyone has.

Thanks,

J.Milbrath

Sab

Sab

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • United Kingdom

If you can find equivalent points on Google maps, then you can use QGIS (free and open source: http://qgis.org/down...071d-Setup.exe) and OpenLayers plugin.
First add Google maps through Openlayers. Zoom into the extent of your old maps. You can then use georeference. Here is a youtube video showing how to georeference an image:

xqusme999

xqusme999

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Canada

For the best results, you will need access to a facility that it equipped with modern photogrammetric tools and some existing aerial triangulation data that covers the subject area of the old photography. Using those tools, some control points can be established on to your prints, diapositives or scanned digital images of the same to allow the rectification to take place with some confidence with software that is designed for this purpose.

Do you know the make, model and/or focal lenght of the camera that took the original photography? Are there any fiducial marks on the materials you purchased?

It might not hurt to contact someone at the ASPRS for further guidance.

mfarmer

mfarmer

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • United States

Expect that there will be a lot of distortion in the images, particularly around the edges, and that mosaicing them will be very difficult. As for orthorectifying the images, what's the GIS software you're using?

Lui

Lui

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Interests:Natural looking maps, hillshading, mountain cartography, LIDAR, TLS, data fusion, photogrammetry, singing, poetry, cycling
  • Slovenia

Does images overlaps each other in a good photogrammetric manner?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->