florin

florin

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:cartography, GIS
  • Romania

Hi everyone! this is my first upload. i want to learn more about shaded relief.
This is processed from SRTM30_plus (http://topex.ucsd.ed...rtm30_plus.html) in Manifold System, than Adobe Illustrator (add vector data from http://www.naturalearthdata.com/) and finally Photoshop.
Any comments are welcome!

Thad

Thad

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • No Country Selected

Great Start!

I'm not an expert on shaded relief ( i usually just do mine in arcmap). The one thing that pops out to me is that you used the same colors for the river/water feature outline and the country outlines. I would probably not use the country borders, but others may comment differently.

florin

florin

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Romania

Great Start!

I'm not an expert on shaded relief ( i usually just do mine in arcmap). The one thing that pops out to me is that you used the same colors for the river/water feature outline and the country outlines. I would probably not use the country borders, but others may comment differently.

Thanks for you comment. But that is the shoreline.

bebe onea

bebe onea

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Romania

Hi everyone! this is my first upload. i want to learn more about shaded relief.
This is processed from SRTM30_plus (http://topex.ucsd.ed...rtm30_plus.html) in Manifold System, than Adobe Illustrator (add vector data from http://www.naturalearthdata.com/) and finally Photoshop.
Any comments are welcome!

Hello,
It,s a good start.
I think you could use a more brownish color for higher altitudes.
Claudiu

P.Raposo

P.Raposo

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • United States

Hi florin,

Looks rather good. I think the level of generalization of the SRTM data is pretty good for the scale (at least, when I look at the full-size image on my screen), but you might generalize a little more. There's been a lot of pretty good research on that recently (have a look at Bernhard Jenny's stuff, for example), which could inspire you to try some really sophisticated methods. There's also just layering on several iterations of low-pass filters (e.g., "focal statistics" in ArcMap's terminology, doing something like assigning each pixel the mean elevation value of it's 8, or 24 [or more] neighbors, so smoothing the DEM out a bit). Then you can get a hillshade going on that smoother DEM which would have less little valleys in it.

Also, consider making many hillshades from various angles, and combining these (Patrick Kennelly does some sophisticated work with that basic idea).

Cheers,
P

Thad

Thad

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • No Country Selected

Great Start!

Thanks for you comment. But that is the shoreline.

I would still change the color. Shouldn't use the same color for two different features.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I would still change the color. Shouldn't use the same color for two different features.

I disagree, I quite often use the same color for rivers and coastlines, just like Florin has done here.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

florin

florin

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Romania

Hi florin,

Looks rather good. I think the level of generalization of the SRTM data is pretty good for the scale (at least, when I look at the full-size image on my screen), but you might generalize a little more.

Maybe you are right. in this picture I generalized more. it is just an example.
thanks for your links.

Attached Files

Edited by florin, 11 November 2011 - 05:49 AM.
fixed quote tag

P.Raposo

P.Raposo

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • United States

These things are to some degree, of course, subjective, but now I think perhaps the generalization is a bit too much :) Personally, I'd recommend that you'd want to generalize, for a small-scale country reference map like this, such that major mountain ranges are visible, but also not too muted or rounded-off. Something in between your two posted examples might work well - it would be nice to see slightly more crisp shadowing for mountain ridges.

I think your shorelines in the same blue as rivers is fine, though you could try finessing it with a slightly different colour of blue, maybe something that compliments the hypsometric tint colour you've got at zero above sea level.

And also, if I may suggest, you could differentiate your country names and lake names by changing the colour of the text - perhaps a blue for the lakes.

I like the purple national borders :)

Cheers, P

florin

florin

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Romania

I worked and I worked....

and here it is! :D

Attached Files

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts
  • United States

1. Double-check spelling - the error that hit me is "Mediteranean", it should be Mediterranean, two r's as in terra.
2. I like the large label size in general (my eyes "ain't" what they used to be), but I can't say I'm crazy about the font. Also the labels are a bit crowded, especially on the right hand (east) side of the map.
3. Why is scale abbreviated? I would either spell it out as there is plenty of room to do so, or drop it it.
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

It looks pretty good to me! Maybe you can consider removing some cities in the neighboring countries? Or just put them on the map without labels. Also: I don't think the labels where the type is stretched out looks very good, e.g. "Syria" or "Turkey".
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

P.Raposo

P.Raposo

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • United States

I worked and I worked....

and here it is! :D

Looks great! I, also, am not a fan of the stretched characters in country names like Turkey - maybe just spacing them, rather than stretching the glyphs too. I think the level of terrain generalization is quite good :) Also, I think I see three spot heights in there; I'm guessing these are particularly high points? The terrain doesn't actually make that seem apparent, so if they are notable high points, you might want to mention that somewhere (a legend?).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->