• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Josh

Josh

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:wild mushrooms, kites & kite boarding, climbing, bouldering, graphic design, dive bars, dive restaurants, diving, museums, movies from the 70z, downloading music that i'll never listen to, politics, bitching about politics, comics (yes...i still read comics but i don't have a star trek outfit), project management, cute girls walking down the street, a perfect latte, good wine (bad wine too), and all that keeps me entertained during the day.
  • United States

I'm sure many of you can relate to the, "you're a cartographer, you must know where (blank) is". Well I thought I could find anything...but not this town. :huh:

Washki, Pakistan
// an airfield nearby is called Shamsi (also can not find)

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

Josh,

You should tell us more about where you have already looked, which if any gazeteers you have consulted, and if any map librarians have helped you...surely someone here will be able to help you but if not, I suggest visiting your local college map library.

Jason

Jason

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Geography, and more Cartography. Oh, I also garden and golf in the summer.
  • United States

I found this doing a google search. This may get us a little closer.

Globalsecurity.org website

The small Shamsi airstrip is located near the bleak town of Washki in southwestern Pakistan, near the convergence of the borders of Afghanistan, Pakistan and Iran.

found this also:

Shamsi, in use as a Marine forward operating base, is smaller and in an even
more remote part of Baluchistan, near Washki, about fifty miles south of Dalbandin.

Baluchistan is a provice in Pakistan.
From World Gazetteer

Dālbandin
geo-coordinates in degrees (decimal)
28.88°N
64.44°E

Jason Clark
Clark Cartography

Without Geography, you'd be nowhere.

Josh

Josh

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:wild mushrooms, kites & kite boarding, climbing, bouldering, graphic design, dive bars, dive restaurants, diving, museums, movies from the 70z, downloading music that i'll never listen to, politics, bitching about politics, comics (yes...i still read comics but i don't have a star trek outfit), project management, cute girls walking down the street, a perfect latte, good wine (bad wine too), and all that keeps me entertained during the day.
  • United States

Josh,

You should tell us more about where you have already looked,  which if any gazeteers you have consulted, and if any map librarians have helped you...surely someone here will be able to help you but if not, I suggest visiting your local college map library.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess it would be helpful to tell people where I've looked. Google search and one of my favorite sites:
http://www.fallingrain.com/world/PK/
....which usually has every town imaginable. I've come across a few articles too about a US helocopter crashing nearby but none that give the actual Lat/Long. I am now just tying to find it because i can't.

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,312 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

it is not in the NIMA GNS:
http://gnswww.nga.mi...s/GNS/index.jsp

There is a Shamsi there, but it is in Northern Pakistan. This might be an issue with the spelling and writing (how it is transcribed).
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Josh

Josh

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:wild mushrooms, kites &amp; kite boarding, climbing, bouldering, graphic design, dive bars, dive restaurants, diving, museums, movies from the 70z, downloading music that i'll never listen to, politics, bitching about politics, comics (yes...i still read comics but i don't have a star trek outfit), project management, cute girls walking down the street, a perfect latte, good wine (bad wine too), and all that keeps me entertained during the day.
  • United States

it is not in the NIMA GNS:
http://gnswww.nga.mi...s/GNS/index.jsp

There is a Shamsi there, but it is in Northern Pakistan. This might be an issue with the spelling and writing (how it is transcribed).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm guessing that is a town and the airbase is named the same but located somewhere else. At this point I think either it is so small to have anyone agree, or it's a translation issue. Thanks!

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic &amp; Kite Photography
  • United States

Attached File  Washuk.jpg   156.49KB   147 downloads

Dalbandin was easy to find. Washki I did not see but there is something similar (although it is more like a 120km) south, called Washuk.

This is from the Atlas Universal (compiled from Russian data sources primarily) by the Institut Cartographic de Catalunya at 1:4M

Claude

Claude

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • United States

i don't know if this will help you but i found Shamsi in Google Earth and was hoping to look for areas of general bleakness in the vicinity, but alas the photo just wasn't good enough to tell bleak from chipper.
Platts, a div. of McGraw-Hill
www.maps.platts.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->