4 replies to this topic

oskarlin

oskarlin

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Sweden

I'm making a political map of the world and want to use six different nation colors. Is there a function in ArcGIS for setting colors of each country so that no adjacent countries has the same color?

Thanks in advance!

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,301 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Not sure if there is... I just looked at the ESRI data and maps data as well as Natural Earth, and both of these have a field for color codes - NE has 13 colors, while the ESRI dataset has 8. Maybe something to start from?
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

natcase

natcase

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

You should be able to do it with 5 colors. Just start with one color and then for each uncolored country, select the one that is used furthest away. For ease of further use, when you're done and happy with the scatter of colors, assign a value to a new field for "country color", value 1-5.

And it's not just non-adjacency but overall density: You don't want two big countries with one little country separating them to be the same color.

Nat

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

During the Portland Cartography Symposium yesterday I came across a script that should do the trick for you.

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

Charles Syrett

Charles Syrett

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Canada

That script is for 4 colours. This is the theoretical minimum number of colours that can be used to colour any map, according to the definition of "map" used by mathematical theorists (see the Wikipedia article about the 4 colour map theorem). Of course, in real-world cartography, you have to take into account oceans (usually blue), as well as other colour conventions and client-requested colours.

Oskarlin: you say you want to work with 6 colours. I'm not sure whether the Arc script could be adapted to 6 colours.....but in the meantime, why not just go through the process that Nat suggested? Having done it many times, I can verify that it's fast, enjoyable, and highly effective. No need for clunky things such as brewers or scripts. B)

Charles Syrett
Map Graphics
http://www.mapgraphics.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->