Hi!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

GIS327

GIS327

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • United States

After browsing the forum and finding a great deal of interesting discussions and information I decided I had to get involved in this community of cartography enthusiasts. I am a Geography major and would like to find a job in the GIS field upon graduation in fall 2012. Any suggestions as to how I might be able to find a position in this economy would be greatly appreciated. I also just started a cartography blog a few days ago so feel free to check it out: http://fascinatingmaps.blogspot.com/
Thanks!

Thad

Thad

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • No Country Selected

Cool blog. Welcome!

For geography majors to find jobs the key is for you to realize the skills you possess, and link these skills with jobs that you want.

For instance, if you want to work as a GIS guy for a county, you might want to display your skills with tax parcels or generating a really nice map book. If your really serious, I would just call up a county GIS office and ask either directly what they would look for in a prospective employee, or you can shade your questions and say you are doing an interview for a class assignment. Whatever makes you feel comfortable.

In my experience I have found little/no help from my professors (i have a masters in geography so I spent a lot of time around them). They are fantastic learning resources, but they are not in touch with business demand.

Good luck!

Matthew Toro

Matthew Toro

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • United States

In my experience I have found little/no help from my professors (i have a masters in geography so I spent a lot of time around them). They are fantastic learning resources, but they are not in touch with business demand.

I could not agree more. I learned so much throughout my Geography graduate studies. What was terribly lacking was an understanding of the "real world" demands of the business sectors (including public, private, and non-profit sector organizations that actually do business).

Matthew Toro

Alexandre

Alexandre

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Canada

Hello,I'm Alexandre from Ottawa.I'm newbie here.I'm an architect.One of my friend tell me about this site.I seen some interesting threads and posts so I thought I would sign up.
I'm looking forward to have a great conversation or exchanging ideas with you guys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->