Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

I've seen some beautiful prints of Australia and the Indian subcontinent from MODIS...but the scale has to be right, it is 500m data....MODIS is also very spatially accurate which is good. One thing you could also consider (it would be alot of work) is that all the scenes used to produce the Geocover dataset are available online from the GLCF....in theory you could mosaic and color balance them and generate your own dataset, downsample it as appropriate for your map scale and use bands 321... It would be alot of work but if you have the time and the skills it might be worth doing.

What Terracolor white paper do you refer to?

YZT_CNG

YZT_CNG

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • China
Are you Martin?

I ever downloaded Modis 500m from glcf. It seems to cover a large area, for example, most of asia. And the modis has 7 bands. you can mosaic any bands according to your need.

Here is the introduction of Terracolor:

http://www.terracolo...white_paper.htm

What's more, as for small area, I usually use etm. I have the whole China's etm of band 742. I don't know how to adjust them to natural color like terracolor. If mosaic band 321, I think it'll be a great job.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Very impressive, makes me wish I'd know Chinese :)

It's a shame though that some of the samples are heavily pixellated. Also, I want to echo a previous comment in saying that your vector lakes don't always match the lakes in your raster data, you may want to do some manual touch-ups there.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Clark Geomatics

Clark Geomatics

Jeff Clark

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Canada

http://www.terracolo...white_paper.htm

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As far as I know, the algorithms that are mentioned in the Terracolor white paper are proprietary - it's unlikely that you will find any information on the web that gives you the nuts and bolts of how Terracolor converts 742 to 321 imagery - Eric Augenstein is the person behind the algorithms - he does the processing using ER Mapper based on the freely availble data obtained from GLCF site.

Cheers.
Cheers,

Jeff Clark
Principal
www.clarkgeomatics.ca

YZT_CNG

YZT_CNG

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • China
Thanks, Hans,

You are right. Some vector lakers really don't match raster lakers rightly. If time permitted then, I'd have done it.

SpatialVisionGroup,

I envy terracolor's great work deeply. I asked many friends of RS, no one can tell me how to make it. So, Eric Augenstein is excellent, really.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->