• 572 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

At NACIS, Jonathan Schroeder talked about using Center of Population points as a way of placing point symbols at the population-weighted center of an area, which is great—except that as far as I can tell, there is no such thing for the most logical application of this cartographically: incorporated cities and towns. The Census Gazetteer "Places" file appears to use a spatial center point. Any thoughts?

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

loximuthal

loximuthal

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • United States

Any thoughts?

Although I work at Census (even in the Geography Division, responsible for producing those files) I don't know much about these particular files. I suspect you are correct about using spatial points. Based on the field names (INTPTLAT and INTPTLONG) I suspect the points are the INTPOINT stored in our database, which is similar to a center point, but these are shifted to the interior of the polygon if the center point lies outside. I don't know what algorithm is used to shift them, but if you wrote to the email at the bottom of the Gazetteer page ( geo.geography@census.gov ) I'm sure they'll pass you on to the person who can answer any questions you have.
Andy McIntire
US Census Bureau

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->