Photo

Is there a free map with capital and main cities as tex?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

thethule

thethule

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • United Kingdom

Im making myself a big map for my living room and have all the assets i need except main cities as names and placeholder. At the moment, i'm facing grabbing them from open street map and placing them, but although that's quicker than typing them out by hand, its still WAY too slow.

I have scoured the deepest corners of the web for a free map with capitals AND cities, to no avail. If i need to, ill buy a map and just extract the text. but i was hoping to do it for free. Any help would be massively appreciated.

Marc

Greg Rose

Greg Rose

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • United States

Hey Marc,

Not sure if they have it, but you might want to check factual.com. They are an open source database site with all kinds of data including location and points of interest.

Like I said, I have not checked it for your specific dataset, but I thought I would mention it.

Thanks,

Greg.

Im making myself a big map for my living room and have all the assets i need except main cities as names and placeholder. At the moment, i'm facing grabbing them from open street map and placing them, but although that's quicker than typing them out by hand, its still WAY too slow.

I have scoured the deepest corners of the web for a free map with capitals AND cities, to no avail. If i need to, ill buy a map and just extract the text. but i was hoping to do it for free. Any help would be massively appreciated.

Marc

Birdfree

Birdfree

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Germany

Hi Marc,
you can use geonames.org (http://www.geonames....aps/cities.html) to get the names. But you need some software to extract the capitals and countrys from them...
otherwise you can use www.naturalearthdata.com There are good sources in three scales. 10mio/50mio and 100mio.

maybe i can help you... feel free to contact me.

Bye
Markus

Marc

JDR

JDR

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Canada

Hi Marc,

I'd second the natural earth populated places dataset. The link is to the 1:10mil dataset, however they also have a 50mil and 110mil dataset.

What scale are you working at?

Justin

thethule

thethule

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • United Kingdom

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. Ill be honest, i have no idea at all how to extract the data from these files. Im trying to learn, but most of it is going over my head. Im a 3d animator, so i thought this stuff would come fairly easily, but its pretty hard to grasp for a beginner.

Idealy, the file i use would just be a layered eps or similar file that i can just copy and paste, because to extract the datasets i would need some software that costs quite a lot don't i?

As far as scale goes...ill be honest, i have no idea. I just grabbed some free sets of maps and started building, here is what i have done so far

EDIT: actually, a lot of the layers im using say "10m" in the filename. Is that of any use?

Posted Image

Thanks for the replies so far guys, i reallt appreciate it. If any of you have any 3d issues, ask me!

thethule

thethule

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • United Kingdom

Markus, i dont seem to be able to send you a private message....is there any software you would recommend to extract the info from the site you linked? Thanks again for your help

Marc

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,861 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Markus, i dont seem to be able to send you a private message....

I've validated your membership, so you can send PM's now.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->