• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Sarah Bennett

Sarah Bennett

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • No Country Selected

I welcome feedback on my map, or pointers to other people who have mapped dance. The only one I know about is http://synchronousobjects.osu.edu/.

I've never used CartoTalk before, so I'm not sure this post will come out right. There should be a png attached.Attached File  Mapping_the_Spatial_Qualities_of_Dance__Bennett__small_version_.png   1011.25KB   198 downloads

natcase

natcase

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

I welcome feedback on my map, or pointers to other people who have mapped dance. The only one I know about is http://synchronousobjects.osu.edu/.

I've never used CartoTalk before, so I'm not sure this post will come out right. There should be a png attached.Attached File  Mapping_the_Spatial_Qualities_of_Dance__Bennett__small_version_.png   1011.25KB   198 downloads

I really enjoyed looking at this at NACIS. I'd love to see it applied to some actual famous dances.

I thought the individual "thematic" maps worked better than the isoline map. I couldn't make sense of the isolines, couldn't read them the way I can read height contours contextually. Have you considered using some kind of coloring within those isolines to show relative intensity? Actually, not sure they make sense, because the foci are not so specific and measurable to such a level of exactitude. At least not in western dance. Maybe in Indian or Balinese dance, where attention goes down to the individual fingertip. I'm visualizing some sort of continuous tone.

And, this being dance, I'd love to see it animated...

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In the vast ocean of my ignorance, I have a few bubbles of interests
  • Canada

Amazing, great job!
Jean-Louis Rheault
Montreal

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

Utterly fascinating. Very well done.

After looking at your poster I could feel myself reaching into a corner of my brain that hadn't been excited for a bit. I think it's amazing to cartographically articulate the space & movement of dance. Very creative too.

I haven't seen much like this before - but appreciate the connections. I am hoping to learn/see more about this and throughly enjoy the SynchronousObjects link. More. More.

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

fdb

fdb

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • France

Incredible work.
What an idea !
Working about area, movement, etc is very interesting.

At the end the isoline's map looks quiet Psychedelic, like a 70's painting.
Perhaps more colors in this last map will be nice. The profile of the dancer should be a little more visible.
But i'm not a dancer and a small cartographer...

I want to see more too.

Fran├žois.
Fran├žois de Bercegol
www.geoscript.fr

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->