• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

gregsd

gregsd

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, mostly off-road (MTB) riding.
  • United Kingdom

Noticed this link on GISUser -

To Catch a Thief Game - Use state-of-the-art GIS (geographic information systems) to analyze crime patterns, predict potential targets, and try to track down the burglar. These fictitious burglaries all take place in Tarrant County, Texas. This is a hands-on demo with no GIS or criminal justice experience required.

"To Catch A Thief" Contest - Play to Win

Each Friday during February 2006, we will release "evidence" about ongoing fictitious burglaries
Use the evidence to determine the means of transportation used by the "burglar(s)" during the "burglaries"
When you think you know the solution (the means of transportation of the burglar(s) during these fictitious burglaries), send your solution to gislib@uta.edu
Solutions (contest entries) must be received by 11:59 PM, Thursday, March 2, 2006

Unfortunately, its only open to CURRENT UTA STUDENTS, FACULTY AND STAFF, so you can't actually win anything but it might be fun to give it a go!

Greg Driver

GIS Analyst
MapInfo User...!

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

Hmmm. I'm sitting here this afternoon less than 500 meters from that green circle on the south. There are no apartments where that triangle is shown.

As for means of transportation, the only two options would be two-door pickup truck or four-door pickup truck. This part of Tarrant County has no public transportation.
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

mapz

mapz

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • United States

Hey, wonderful you're playing...I am the GIS Librarian here at the University of Texas at Arlington that is organizing this contest/workshop. Believe me, the super-duper mouth-watering grand prize is a worth about half the cost of a pizza pie... We've received the first correct response yesterday, and it was not from anyone who was ever affiliated with the university. They are not even in the U.S., let alone Texas.

Anyway, as for the apartment complexes, we wanted to aviod actual locations as the probability of selecting a complex that someone knew might have generated complaints. Especially the green circle. Most expecially that one. (Yes, this is a gratuitious hint.) To tell you the truth, the initial idea was to do this as a murder mystery, but I was talked out of that as being perhaps too insensitive. It's all a balancing game, right??

In terms of transportation....keep looking, I'm sure you will figure it. Remember there will be 3 additional ploice reports during February with more clues and hints. When you do, just zip the answer over to gislib@uta.edu and, well, erm, you know...Play To Win !!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->