Eugene Kluichnikov

Eugene Kluichnikov

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Russian Federation

Hi. I have the next question.

I want to make the world maps in some gis-related application, for example in ArcView. My aim is next. I want to have got the extent of my maps more than 360 degrees. That is I want to see Alaska on the left and on the right side of my world map.

What should I do to gain my aim?

Attached Files

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I want to make the world maps in some gis-related application, for example in ArcView. My aim is next. I want to have got the extent of my maps more than 360 degrees. That is I want to see Alaska on the left and on the right side of my world map.

In short, edit your source data to go from say -200 to +200 degrees and fool your GIS software into think that's okay. That last part may be the trickiest actually. I've never attempted that with Arc.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Eugene Kluichnikov

Eugene Kluichnikov

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Russian Federation

In short, edit your source data to go from say -200 to +200 degrees and fool your GIS software into think that's okay. That last part may be the trickiest actually. I've never attempted that with Arc.

Hi Hans! I tried to change the extent of my map using the trick that you have mentioned. However it didn't bring any desired results. :)

sitesatlas

sitesatlas

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Spain

Hi Eugene,

I haven't tried it in Arc, but in Manifold you would copy the Western Hemisphere, paste it back in, and then apply the transform operation "Move Horizontally" with a value of 360 degrees to the selection to move it beyond 180 degrees E. Do the same with the Eastern Hemisphere, but moving it -360. The attachment shows the final result in the Robinson projection.

Good luck!

Attached Files

Michael Borop
World Sites Atlas
http://www.sitesatlas.com

ProMapper

ProMapper

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:promapper@gmail.com
  • India

Hello Eugene

I used Mercator Projection but instead of Central Meridian being the usual zero degree, I used 30 degrees, thus shifting the world center and also dividing Alaska, see the attached image.

Also using Robinson projection with Central Meridian 30 degrees in Global Mapper, you get Alaska on both the sides.

Anu

Attached Files

Eugene Kluichnikov

Eugene Kluichnikov

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Russian Federation

I would like to thank you, Sitesatlas and ProMapper. And now I want to ask you some more questions.

To Sitesatlas
I have never used the Manifold Systems. Is that application enough powerful and helpful for using it as the main GIS application at work? Or it may only be used as a supportive software?

To ProMapper
What software have been used at making your world map? Did you add the additional map data to the left and to the right sides of your map as Sitesatlas did?

Many thanks and good luck!

Edited by Eugene Kluichnikov, 23 September 2011 - 06:22 AM.

sitesatlas

sitesatlas

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Spain

To Sitesatlas
I have never used the Manifold Systems. Is that application enough powerful and helpful for using it as the main GIS application at work? Or it may only be used as a supportive software?

I am a big fan of Manifold System: it has a lot of great functionality for a reasonable price. It is great for GIS operations, though cartographic output is not its strong suit -- I usually process data in Manifold and then export to Illustrator/MAPublisher for labeling and finishing. The downside is that it's been four years since the last major software release and the company is not at all forthcoming about future versions, which is not a good sign. Nevertheless, I use Manifold regularly and I definitely recommend it. A good number of Cartotalk members use Manifold, so searching the forum can give you a good look at what it can do as well as its shortcomings.
Michael Borop
World Sites Atlas
http://www.sitesatlas.com

Eugene Kluichnikov

Eugene Kluichnikov

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Russian Federation

Many thanks Sitesatlas!

Eugene Kluichnikov

Eugene Kluichnikov

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Russian Federation

Here is a response which I have got in the Global Mapper Forum. I think that it may be helpful for somebody. True, I have another question now. How can I build my own meridians and parallels in the needed position using ArcGIS?

Another way to get around this would be to scale all data down by a small factor, perhaps 0.85 for example, in the longitudinal direction only, before reprojection. I'm not sure how I'd accomplish non-isometric scaling in GM (I'd typically use Manifold). I'd also want to scale a graticule, so that meridians would be true, and give the graticule lots of redundant vertices so that it would appear curved after reprojection.
There's a sense in which the resulting projection (which could be anything capable of displaying both hemispheres) would not be "true", but only a very technical sense I think.

Edited by Eugene Kluichnikov, 26 September 2011 - 08:19 AM.

Melita Kennedy

Melita Kennedy

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • United States

You can build a dataset of latitude/longitude lines with the Create Fishnet tool in ArcToolbox. You may need to densify the lines.

Melita

Eugene Kluichnikov

Eugene Kluichnikov

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Russian Federation

Thank you very much, Melita!

Eugene Kluichnikov

Eugene Kluichnikov

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Russian Federation

Let us suppose that I have built a dataset of latitude/longitude lines with the Create Fishnet tool in ArcToolbox. How can I densify the received lines? Should I use "Editor — Divide..." function? Or there is another way without splitting up the long lines into a lot of short lines?

Edited by Eugene Kluichnikov, 28 September 2011 - 07:14 AM.

ProMapper

ProMapper

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:promapper@gmail.com
  • India

I would like to thank you, Sitesatlas and ProMapper. And now I want to ask you some more questions.

To ProMapper
What software have been used at making your world map? Did you add the additional map data to the left and to the right sides of your map as Sitesatlas did?

Many thanks and good luck!

Hi again

No addition of data, just put different value in central meridian than zero, the globe shifts.

Eugene Kluichnikov

Eugene Kluichnikov

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Russian Federation

Thank you for your response, ProMapper. What application have been used at making your world map? Is such a trick helpful for the raster data only, isn't it? May I use the vector data as well?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->