Michael Markieta

Michael Markieta

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Canada

Hi all,

Just returning from a week spent in Montreal and I would love to share my experience and inspiration for a new project of mine.

If anyone on the forum is from Montreal and loves to geocache, you already know what I am talking about when I say Montreal has SOO MANY geocaches. The ones listed on geocaching.com make up over 100 caches located in the city of Montreal. During my stay, Heather (significant other) and I spent some time searching for geocaches close to our hotel. We only managed to find 1 of 7, but we had a great time nonetheless.

Idea! :ph34r:

To combine my love of GIS and Cartography with my new found love for geocaching, I hope to start my own geocache with a spatial analysis spin.

I want to include a log book with entry space for both name and post(postal) code. This would allow me to map out where my geocachers are coming from and identify any spatial trends or phenomena (unlikely... but interesting to geovisualize nonetheless).

Originally posted here: BLOG.

I hope to have the geocache in play by the end of the month. For those interested, I live in Toronto and the geocache will be hidden, albeit tentatively, in High Park.

Constructive comments are strongly encouraged!

Cheers!

Michael Markieta
Research Assistant - Department of Geography @ Ryerson University
B.A. Candidate - Geographic Analysis
Ryerson University
Toronto, ON, Canada
www.spatialanalysis.ca

Michael Markieta - www.spatialanalysis.ca
Ryerson University
Toronto, ON, Canada

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • Canada

Better than using a postal code, how about geographic home coordinates?

Michael Markieta

Michael Markieta

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Canada

If given the option, I would assume most geocachers would love to write that down

BUT... there are some hiccups to that idea.

Some geocachers would like to respect their privacy of home location. A postal code provides enough masking through aggregation that your home location is not made public.

Also, not all geocachers will have their home location in coordinate form on hand with them out in the field.

Perhaps giving the option for both/either|or would be best. I don't want the log to look interrogative and scare people away.

Cheers,

Michael

Better than using a postal code, how about geographic home coordinates?

Michael Markieta - www.spatialanalysis.ca
Ryerson University
Toronto, ON, Canada

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->