1 reply to this topic

GrantH

GrantH

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • United States

Hello everyone, my name is Grant H as is obvious by my username. I graduated with a BS in Geography and GIS in December of 2010 from the University of Southern Mississippi. I won't go into too much about the job hunt...but it is and has been full force now for 8-10 months roughly.

I have always enjoyed event maps for events like carnivals, car shows, and for places such as Disney. I took Cartography in my coursework, but we didn't do any work with Illustrator Photoshop. We didn't go into a ton of details in total really. I feel like I should go about this personally, learning what I can to better my skills and resume alike.

You may have guessed by now, but i'm lacking on the cartographic front of GIS work. Are there any websites that show basics, or how to go about beginning? I'm betting not...but I can be hopeful. I have done a bit of looking about for myself, youtube has time-lapse work, which in the least is very inspiring. I hope to create these some day.

Any and all information and tips are appreciated!

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,887 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Hi, and welcome to Cartotalk!

I guess right here would be one of the best places to begin looking. It's probably a good idea to get yourself familiarized with the software first, there's tutorials and training videos on both Illustrator and Photoshop out there. Other than that, ask questions, lots of them.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->