5 replies to this topic

Gretchen Peterson

Gretchen Peterson

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • United States

I recently made some map art for a friend's birthday that inspired me to try my hand at selling some map art on Etsy. We'll see how it goes! These are in the Warhol style (almost the exact colors as some in the Monroe series). I'd be happy to hear your feedback.

I like the idea of taking map data and making it cool and arty, in an unexpected way, but still with a hint of places we love or places we've been. All of us with cartography skills can put them to good use by making gifts like this in our own style!

Although I truly am an analyst - probably 80% of my work is GIS analysis - I am a strong believer in tapping the creative side from time to time. In fact, I feel that knowledge of some creativity science is essential to becoming a better analyst (maybe a better anything, for that matter). In fact, I'll have an article out in GISuser on this very topic in the next month or so. Since I like to practice what I preach, these Etsy prints were a great "investment" for me!

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,891 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

It's different, that's for sure. I think if it were available in larger sizes and for cities I have some sort of an emotional connection to, I'd certainly consider getting one. I do have a connection with San Francisco, but to be honest, I'd like to see the entire city rather than just Fisherman's Wharf.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Gretchen Peterson

Gretchen Peterson

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • United States

The one that I made for my friend was of a place that is special to her. I had it printed at 18 x 24. Those are probably two key things missing from these maps. I'll see what I can do (if I have time) to remedy that! Thanks for your comments.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,891 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

The one that I made for my friend was of a place that is special to her. I had it printed at 18 x 24. Those are probably two key things missing from these maps. I'll see what I can do (if I have time) to remedy that! Thanks for your comments.

FWIW, I like the range of options and sizes that Axis Maps offers at their store.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

heath b

heath b

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Interests:the great outdoors, bouldering, martinis, unusual graphical representation
  • United States

I think it's fantastic that you're doing this sort of thing, Gretchen. I completely agree that exercising the creative parts of our minds can help us gain new perspectives within our professional lives, and help keep us sane. :blink: I've been working on my own creative projects using maps, some for friends and some just for hobby purposes. As I get a couple of these projects wrapped up I'll try to post something to Cartotalk. I'm sure that there are others here that are using pieces of their cartographic skills in very creative ways.

By the way, I've always been in awe of the Axis Maps. They're so elegant and simple.

Heath

Gretchen Peterson

Gretchen Peterson

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • United States

Heath - it'll be great to see your projects when you post. Thanks.

The Axis maps are definitely beautiful. I can't imagine how much time went into them. It's an example of a creative idea that turns into major tedium but then winds up amazing at the end. Worth the effort, as they say.

Here's a picture of how the larger 18 x 20 print looks. It's the one made for a friend's birthday. I think the larger, more simple shapes, and the larger format work well. Don't forget these are the Warholian colors and is outlandish on purpose.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->