• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I'm working on a general purpose tourist map of London. Style-wise, I've let myself be inspired by the Zoomable Map (which is currently my standard "map to have in my pocket" whenever I'm in London) as well as Kevin Paul's Stavanger color scheme.

Attached File  Screen_shot_2011_08_24_at_12.21.33.png   402.56KB   296 downloads

This is still very much a work in progress, missing some of the more touristy bits of information, but I was hoping to get some feedback. I've made a conscious decision not to label any of the smaller roads for now, but I may go ahead and do about 50% of those anyway. The reasoning behind this is that the Zoomable Map offers a very clean picture, which I like a lot.

Source data is all OS VectorMap District (free data from the Ordnance Survey). I had initially considered OpenStreetmap, but this is just so much better in terms of data structure and consistency (not without errors though)
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

ProMapper

ProMapper

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:promapper@gmail.com
  • India

I'm working on a general purpose tourist map of London. Style-wise, I've let myself be inspired by the Zoomable Map (which is currently my standard "map to have in my pocket" whenever I'm in London) as well as Kevin Paul's Stavanger color scheme.

The sample looks good. The data is just great and in comparison the OSM data looks to be a total mess. My tuppence, abbreviate Road, Street, Terrace, and so on, it will give lot more space to pack in more labels B).

Anu

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

I would probably go in and redraw a few selected features that have a very obvious classical geometry, such as the circus near Lancaster Gate or Marble Arch corner. I hate to think of John Nash making a perfect circle on the ground only to have some dataset 200 years later dumb it down into an irregular polygon.

I'm a little puzzled by the narrow streets and wide sidewalks in a lot of places. It looks as if the street centerlines have been assigned arbitrary widths as part of a hierarchy, while the building footprints are accurate and so the difference is absorbed by "ground," which we read as sidewalk/footpath.

I don't quite understand what's being symbolized in the parks. There should be grass, walkways, and (maybe) trees. But the tree cover seems to be in some cases indicating walkways, which then disappear once you reach open grass. The trees also seem awfully dark.

Finally, the colors on the zoomable map are much subtler. These seem rather intense.
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  • Netherlands

Thanks for your comments, Anu and Dennis.

As Dennis points out, there's indeed next to no manual redrawing on this one. I've also assigned standard line widths to the various classes of roads, with the least important ones getting a very thin line. I'm not too sure about combining this with the buildings (they seem accurate, but aren't really).

The data on parks is kinda funny, it only shows "wooded areas". The light green background in Hyde Park is one of the things I added myself. Footpaths, which would be in the roads layer, aren't included. I may have to source those from OpenStreetMap.

Color scheme is pretty intense indeed, but I wanted to give this pallette a try. Have some other ideas up my sleeve as well.

It's great to have you guys as a resource, I am not nearly tough enough on myself when I'm designing, and sometimes clients don't have a lot of input in terms of style.
Red Geographics

SaultDon

SaultDon

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Interests:Environmental/Wildlife GIS, Aboriginal Land Use and Occupancy
  • Canada

I like the colours because they offer good contrast for people with normal vision.

I just ran it through ColorOracle and noticed that the contrast is lost a little if a user has Protanopia or the more common Deuteranopia.

Especially for the backdrop colours - green and grey can become indistinguishable and a little for the orange on the greens.

A minor tweak should fix this to enhance the contrast and the other viewers with a colour blindness should be fine.

The line thicknesses (line patterns work nice too) you have implemented will help the reader distinguishing features instead of colour coding them.

Attached File  Protanopia.png   433.84KB   108 downloadsAttached File  Deuteranopia.jpg   295.48KB   89 downloads

kevinpaulscarrott

kevinpaulscarrott

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Interests:wine, women and song
  • Norway

...it’s certainly the best Hyde Park scheme I’ve ever seen on a London map.
It’s so inviting, and makes you want to explore all the various pathways and have a row on The Serpentine.

The park alone is a piece of art.
The Bold Serif spaced typeface for Hyde Park and Kensington gardens looks elegant.

Mayor Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson has reason to feel very happy!

Well done Hans.

Best wishes from Norway,
Kevin-Paul

Jacques Gélinas

Jacques Gélinas

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Canada

At first glance this map looks good,

However as you say ...This is still very much a work in progress ...

Can you give a bit more detail on the scale, size and output medium. Is this the full extend of the map. Is it to be published and when ect...

I did notice a few things.
Hyde park. As Dennis mentioned, If the thin lines represent trails or walkways, then the network is lost in the lighter shades (non trees areas I assume).
There are 2 Marble Arch symbols. Because these symbols are abrasct, I can't tell what they represent without a reference to a legend. So I would tend to use more 'realistic' symbols overall.
I don't know the output scale, but if I compare map detail with font size, I would have to say that some form of generalization will have to be done.

Regards,

Jacques Gélinas
cartographer
www.cartesgeo.ca

thamesidemedia

thamesidemedia

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, photography, technicography
  • United Kingdom

Generally a nice map of London. But it's a big city - how much of London have you included, and are you doing it for a client or for your own interest? Would you be interested in configuring it as a royalty free base?

Thanks for sharing,

TM

www.maproom.net
MapGirlCoder

Maproom at Thameside Media

Award winning digital and print projects

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  • Netherlands

Generally a nice map of London. But it's a big city - how much of London have you included, and are you doing it for a client or for your own interest? Would you be interested in configuring it as a royalty free base?

As the project I started it for fell through I'm completing it with the intention of selling it, primarily through Avenza's PDF Maps store, but other avenues are worth looking into as well of course.

As for the area covered, It's from Sheperd's Bush in the west to St Kahterine's Docks in the east, Camden Market in the north to Vauxhall Bridge in the south.
Red Geographics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->