4 replies to this topic

jtotton

jtotton

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Canada

Hi,

I am a GIS technologist in Atlantic Canada and am very interested in getting into the cartography side of things. I plan on maybe starting my own small cartography business. I am sure that the information on this forum and from its members will give me a good starting point and help me develop my business plan. I hope to be able to contribute a little bit to the community as well as learn from it. Hopefuly someday soon I have something to post in the Map Gallery.

-jt

SaultDon

SaultDon

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Interests:Environmental/Wildlife GIS, Aboriginal Land Use and Occupancy
  • Canada

Greetings from the West.

Seeing as you are from the East did you have a chance to attend anything from COGS?

I keep trying to get back there but things are so far away over and up here.
Thankfully lots of other educational institutions offer distance learning (online).

Best of luck in your start-up!

jtotton

jtotton

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Canada

No I didn't go to COGS. I considered it. But I am from NB so I opted for a course offered at the New Brunswick Community College. I was in BC for a bit and had considered attending a course in Nanaimo, but it was quite a bit more expensive. I don't plan on starting up right away. Just going to gather information for now and find my niche. Thanks for the welcome!

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

It's hard to find any work in the maritimes even during the good times, your very lucky that you have a job in this field so make sure you have a very good business plan, & utilize your experience in this field because clients are difficult to come by near the east coast.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

Greetings from the West.

Seeing as you are from the East did you have a chance to attend anything from COGS?

I keep trying to get back there but things are so far away over and up here.
Thankfully lots of other educational institutions offer distance learning (online).

Best of luck in your start-up!

Just to make a point while there are opportunities learning GIS online I wish that the NSCC would offer courses online regarding our field, simply because the future of post secondary education lies with online learning opportunities due to the rising costs, technological advancements, & increasing recommendations that students should work full time rather then wait for good opportunities after college. BTW GIS is no longer just offered at COGS, you can now; though more specifically field related take spatial related courses at the Halifax campus through the engineering fields.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->