• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Pavel_Y

Pavel_Y

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Ukraine

Hi all!

My company is going to buy few licenses of one of those GIS tools. I did some digging into both companies websites and they are lookin pretty similar.

Which one would you recomend? Why?

Thanks in advance!

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

When was the last version of SuperGIS released? When was the last version of Manifold 8 released? Ask yourself this question & your answer on what to get is answered.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

Pavel_Y

Pavel_Y

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Ukraine

When was the last version of SuperGIS released? When was the last version of Manifold 8 released? Ask yourself this question & your answer on what to get is answered.

From what I have found Manifold latest update was just yesterday and SuperGIS recently announced release of new version soon. So those questions didn't help me a lot...

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

From what I have found Manifold latest update was just yesterday and SuperGIS recently announced release of new version soon. So those questions didn't help me a lot...

Manifold 9 was supposed to be released in 2009, it's 2011. Any update to version 8 should at this point be looked upon as shutting up the masses. My recommendation is to pursue SuperGIS if that is your only other choice. Please read my Manifold thread: http://www.cartotalk...wtopic=5035&hl=

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

dsl

dsl

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • United States

I think what Hasdrubal meant was the last major release. For manifold that was version 8, probably 3 years ago. This raises a few red flags about the long term sustainability of the company/product. I think ESRI has had three major releases during that same time period for frame of reference. Version 8 is still a pretty good GIS product though, and I think a number of users are on the forum. I've personally never used SuperGIS, and have often wondered if it is too good to be true. Other options for you are Caliper Maptitude, ESRI ArcGIS, and MapInfo. Open source options are gvSIG, and QGIS (personal favourites).

EDIT:
I was a post behind it seems :).

BCowper

BCowper

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Canada

Regarding Manifold, I think there's been a lot of little breadcrumbs dropped by Manifold.net over the last few years that suggested the next release would be coming soon, but have turned into red herrings. Whatever they have been working on it appears that Manifold has not been their focus. However their latest breadcrumb does give us hope that a new release is still being worked on:

•The installation logic is updated to allow running Manifold 8 together with future versions of Manifold on the same machine.

Why would they put time into this feature if there was no likelyhood of a new release on the horizon?

I don't blame anyone for seeing this as another false dawn, but I'm optimistic (not overly) that we will see a new release soon.

Current software used: ArcInfo 10.1 (Spatial and 3D Anaylst), Manifold 8.0 Ultimate x64, AutoCAD Civil/Map 3D 2011 x64.

GISRox

GISRox

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, maps, travel.
  • United States

Which one would you recomend? Why?

What type of GIS work are you trying to perform? Will you be consulting for clients? How important is software support?

Pavel_Y

Pavel_Y

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Ukraine

Manifold 9 was supposed to be released in 2009, it's 2011. Any update to version 8 should at this point be looked upon as shutting up the masses. My recommendation is to pursue SuperGIS if that is your only other choice. Please read my Manifold thread: http://www.cartotalk...wtopic=5035&hl=

Thank you! It's much more clear now

Pavel_Y

Pavel_Y

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Ukraine

What type of GIS work are you trying to perform? Will you be consulting for clients? How important is software support?

Hi!

Basically, we are looking for arcgis like functionality but as many others think that ESRI products are too expensive. First of all software should be stable and also it should have quite a lot of geoprocessing tools (like in Arctoolbox).

Opensource software is quite good and we use it time to time, but it is not always provide high stability and misses many useable functions

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

My experience is that you generally get what you pay for. Open source software will probably mean alot of work on your end and very little support, except what you can get from the user community. Software like Manifold is inexpensive but their customer service is pitiful and, as other posters have indicated, their update schedule is more a wish than a reality. ArcGIS might be expensive but the support is great and their user community is large. It is one of the industry standards. Not sure about SuperGIS but to me it sounds/looks like a cheap knock-off. Any users out there who would like to chime in and tell me I'm wrong?

GISRox

GISRox

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, maps, travel.
  • United States

I think rudy's comments echo my sentiments. While ArcGIS might be a bit more cost out of the box, in the end, you get a good product, great development tools, and a plethora of after market products and support services. ESRI treats customers with respect and is very professional in very part of the business. Just look at the great user conferences and industry related groups they sponsor. Yeah, I own a copy of Manifold and have a bunch of OpenSource software. At the end of the day, 90% of my time is spent in some flavor of Arc. In my industry, it simply doesn't make sense to go with a non-standard platform.

Pavel_Y

Pavel_Y

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Ukraine

My experience is that you generally get what you pay for. Open source software will probably mean alot of work on your end and very little support, except what you can get from the user community. Software like Manifold is inexpensive but their customer service is pitiful and, as other posters have indicated, their update schedule is more a wish than a reality. ArcGIS might be expensive but the support is great and their user community is large. It is one of the industry standards. Not sure about SuperGIS but to me it sounds/looks like a cheap knock-off. Any users out there who would like to chime in and tell me I'm wrong?

I don't think we going to need a lot of support. Actually, we have couple licenses of Arcgis and probably we never used ESRI support :)

I've heard that supergis is like a clone of arcgis with almost the same functionality but much cheaper, although I haven't tried it yet. And yeah, software name sounds quite ambitious ))

SuperGeo

SuperGeo

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Taiwan

Hi everyone,

I am Sarah from SuperGeo. Let me provide some feedback from SuperGIS side and I’d try to be objective as I can. :)

We are positioned as one of the best alternative solutions of ESRI ArcGIS in terms of functionality and interface. Actually we used to be one of the resellers of ArcGIS products in Taiwan and used ArcGIS in many projects. ArcGIS is very powerful and ESRI is a great company. However, the price is too high and the local support in many markets is just poor.

Considering this, our CEO established SuperGeo, aiming to provide nice GIS software with much more reasonable pricing. The RD team developed the software based on their long experience in using GIS software and developing/programming techniques. All the software products are with complete copyrights and we have obtained patents on some GIS techniques.

Speaking of the support, our clients and distributors comment that our support is much faster and flexible. We have a Support and Training team, so the customer service is quite nice.

Okay! This is just some short feedback from SuperGeo side and I shall not speak more in case of any improper promotional wordings. I’d just like to give some ideas since none of the users here tried or purchased SuperGIS products yet.

The ArcGIS Toolbox we provide is called SuperGIS DataManager, a free data management tool. We provide 30 day free trials for all the software on the website. Welcome to http://www.supergeotek.com/index.aspx to see more. Thank you!

Edited by SuperGeo, 15 August 2011 - 04:56 AM.

NicKV

NicKV

Contributor

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • United Kingdom

Regarding Manifold, I think there's been a lot of little breadcrumbs dropped by Manifold.net over the last few years that suggested the next release would be coming soon, but have turned into red herrings. Whatever they have been working on it appears that Manifold has not been their focus.

Trying to predict what Manifold Software is doing is like kremlinology.

My guess is that they have been working on producing software to optimise performance from China's Tesla GPU based supercomputer, Tianhe-1A. Hence, the opening of offices in Hong Kong. There may be additional reasons for doing this as well.

However their latest breadcrumb does give us hope that a new release is still being worked on:

The installation logic is updated to allow running Manifold 8 together with future versions of Manifold on the same machine.

Why would they put time into this feature if there was no likelihood of a new release on the horizon?

One reason they are seemingly implying that they will allow two versions of Manifold to ruin side by side may be to allow manual export of information created using version 8 to be manually imported into version 9. By doing this, it means they do not need to code version 9 to open and read version 8 project files.

I don't blame anyone for seeing this as another false dawn, but I'm optimistic (not overly) that we will see a new release soon.

I have no evidence, but a suspicion that the release of version 9 may be timed to coincide with the release of AMD's next generation of GPUs, Southern Islands, and its Graphics Core Next compute core architecture. This looks like it could happen in late September or October, and probably before the new year.

If they instead plan to time the release version 9 to coincide with the release of NVIDIA's, Maxwell, next-generation GPUs, then rumour has it we will will have very a long wait and they will have a lot of irate users.

Edited by NicKV, 15 August 2011 - 08:16 AM.

Pavel_Y

Pavel_Y

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Ukraine

The ArcGIS Toolbox we provide is called SuperGIS DataManager, a free data management tool. We provide 30 day free trials for all the software on the website. Welcome to http://www.supergeotek.com/index.aspx to see more. Thank you!

Hi Sarah,

are you sure that Datamanager provides similar to arctoolbox functions? I've just downloaded trial of Datamanager and it seems to me more similar to Arccatalog than to arctoolbox...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->