• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Richard

Richard

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Surveying, Bushwalking<br />As a kid mapping has always interested me.<br />Main mapping is for a local rivercare group - Mount Roland Rivercare Catchment Inc.<br />Use Manifold, AICS with MAPublisher and CanvasX GIS and field book and pencil.
  • Australia

I'm (tongue in cheek) asking if there is a program that converts Geotiffs to ECW images very simply.
Simply as in say Right Click and 'Convert'.

I can open and save as in Manifold but hoping for something quicker and simpler.

Suggetsions appreciated thanks.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,884 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I'm (tongue in cheek) asking if there is a program that converts Geotiffs to ECW images very simply.
Simply as in say Right Click and 'Convert'.

I can open and save as in Manifold but hoping for something quicker and simpler.

Suggetsions appreciated thanks.

Global Mapper is another good and affordable option, but I wouldn't say is "very simple", there's still some parameters to set (but then again, IMHO, you can't "just" pour data into an ECW, the parameters are actually fairly important).
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Jacques Gélinas

Jacques Gélinas

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Canada

Richard,

There is the "ECW JPEG 2000 compressor" FREE tool that should do the trick. Maybe that tool is no longer available. If not drop me a line and I could sent it to you (note that it is a an .exe file).

Regards,

Jacques Gélinas
cartographer
www.cartesgeo.ca

Richard

Richard

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Surveying, Bushwalking<br />As a kid mapping has always interested me.<br />Main mapping is for a local rivercare group - Mount Roland Rivercare Catchment Inc.<br />Use Manifold, AICS with MAPublisher and CanvasX GIS and field book and pencil.
  • Australia

There is the "ECW JPEG 2000 compressor" FREE tool that should do the trick. Maybe that tool is no longer available. If not drop me a line and I could sent it to you (note that it is a an .exe file).

Is this a conversion or a way of sending large files in a smaller dose?

Hans I did think your reply was to be expected. Hence my tongue in cheek remark.
What I 've never understood was why Manifold took so long to load my 300+ mb tiffs when I could load them into my survey software and start working long before Manifold had finished loading and that was while Manifold was running in the background.

I might just have to pitch in and go through them all and get it over and done with.
regards

Jacques Gélinas

Jacques Gélinas

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Canada

ECW JPEG 2000 compressor

It is a stand alone executable that I believe was made by the original developers of the ECW format. (Earth Resource Mapping) who made the ER mapper software et al.

It can take a geotiff and numerous other formats and convert it to an ecw.

Jacques Gélinas
cartographer
www.cartesgeo.ca

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,310 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

For Global Mapper - it also supports batch operations and simple scripting.
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Richard

Richard

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Australia

ECW JPEG 2000 compressor

It is a stand alone executable that I believe was made by the original developers of the ECW format. (Earth Resource Mapping) who made the ER mapper software et al.

It can take a geotiff and numerous other formats and convert it to an ecw.

Many thanks all, sorry didn't get back earlier.
Its amazing - 225mb tiff to 8mb ecw. (setting of 20 for desired compression ratio)
Very quick and I loaded result in Cad and also Manifold and the difference between the tiff and ecw is negligable if any in terms of image quality.

Great little tool.

I installed this on Win 7 Pro 64 bit and it didn't complain or balk.

Annelies

Annelies

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Belgium

Dear all,

I would like to convert Geotiff's to ECW. I have searched on the internet but do not seem to find the download link for the tool you mentioned: ECW JPEG 2000 compressor.

Could someone send me this free tool?

Thanks a lot!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->