• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Kevin McManigal

Kevin McManigal

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Climbing, kayaking, backpacking, biking, traveling, sking, mountaineering, guitar playing, laughing, and of course, map makking! (and all the other "ing's")
  • United States

Hello all! I am the teacher's assistant for an Advanced Cartographic Design Seminar and we are introducing the students to Flash. Does anyone know of some map specific tutorials for Flash? I would appreciate any links. Thanks :D
Kevin McManigal
Orange Peel Cartographic
MapPractical

JimBlakeslee

JimBlakeslee

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:Interactive Map Applications: Flash, MySQL, PHP, etc.
  • United States

I think a great thing to look at is Flash Earth. He provides the source.
Flash Earth

If I was teaching the class, I might consider getting the students to download and use the Yahoo (or Google) developer codes, and making webpages ("mash-ups") that pull from those engines.

Flash Maps are hard for two reasons 1) it can be challenging to get your vector data into flash in a way that you can use it, and 2) writing actionscipt controls for even simple actions like pan and zoom is harder than it ought to be.

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Music, GIS, Coffee
  • United States

Here are couple of useful links:

Flashkit

Sitepoint

I wouldn't spend too much time searching for Flash Map Tutorials. Just make sure they know how to access the Help files that come with the program :) If they are interested in creating interactive maps with lots of features, like zooming and panning, they should be able to find what they need on Flashkit or the bookshelve. Keep the Flash simple and focus on the maps. Erin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->