6 replies to this topic

map_maker5280

map_maker5280

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United States

Greetings all!

I've been a long time list lurker and have decided to officially join the fun!

I've been involved in surveying / mapping / GIS for over 25 years (just turned 50 - hence the 'Oldie' in the topic title!). When I was in college the cartography was all manual, and my first taste of surveying was with a plane table and alidade. The first GPS unit I used took a car battery to operate (mid 1980's), and with GPS being so new to us we followed up our GPS observations with geodetic traverses and astros to check our work.

I've been using ESRI software since the mid to late 1980's (back then we were running Arc/INFO on a Prime Computer), though these days I also use QGIS, Manifold, and a few other odds and ends to get the job done. I prefer the spatial data side of GIS, and some of my maps have made it in publications and on the Internet. I've also done stints on professional boards, presented at local and national conferences, and even managed to be involved with beta testing for a couple of GIS / mapping software packages.

These days I find myself slowing down a bit on my GIS skills and programming, but I am still pretty active on the spatial data side and the map making. I miss being out in the field, but I still find my work interesting enough to get out of bed in the morning!

I enjoy reading the posts as it has given me new ways to look at mapping.

Tom

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
  • United States

Welcome, Tom!

(although, I (rep)resent the "just turned 50 - hence the 'Oldie' in the topic title" remark, having passed that milestone a few years back. But I was a late bloomer, not getting into this field until the 90's.) :P
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Paul H

Paul H

Paul from JIMAPCO

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • United States

You're just a kid! I've been doing this since '77.

Charles Syrett

Charles Syrett

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Canada

You're just a kid! I've been doing this since '77.

Me, 1973. What does that make you? ;)

Charles Syrett
Map Graphics
http://www.mapgraphics.com

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In the vast ocean of my ignorance, I have a few bubbles of interests
  • Canada

A 1979'er here...

Havent been to this site in a while. I noticed that a bunch of newcomers have been introducing themselves and getting no response.
Maybe we old farts should pay attention to this more.
Jean-Louis Rheault
Montreal

Kalai Selvan

Kalai Selvan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Interests:Map Making & Map making
  • India

Hey Tom,

Welcome!!! I have been in map making for over 15years, and common question that i get from all around,aren't you bored doing always maps..I put the same question to you, since you have a decade more experience than me..Whats your answer.. I think the fun has begin..

Thanks
Kalai

Greetings all!

I've been a long time list lurker and have decided to officially join the fun!

I've been involved in surveying / mapping / GIS for over 25 years (just turned 50 - hence the 'Oldie' in the topic title!). When I was in college the cartography was all manual, and my first taste of surveying was with a plane table and alidade. The first GPS unit I used took a car battery to operate (mid 1980's), and with GPS being so new to us we followed up our GPS observations with geodetic traverses and astros to check our work.

I've been using ESRI software since the mid to late 1980's (back then we were running Arc/INFO on a Prime Computer), though these days I also use QGIS, Manifold, and a few other odds and ends to get the job done. I prefer the spatial data side of GIS, and some of my maps have made it in publications and on the Internet. I've also done stints on professional boards, presented at local and national conferences, and even managed to be involved with beta testing for a couple of GIS / mapping software packages.

These days I find myself slowing down a bit on my GIS skills and programming, but I am still pretty active on the spatial data side and the map making. I miss being out in the field, but I still find my work interesting enough to get out of bed in the morning!

I enjoy reading the posts as it has given me new ways to look at mapping.

Tom

Thanks and Regards
Kalai Selvan

map_maker5280

map_maker5280

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United States

Kalai -

I think the different types of projects that I work on keeps mapping fun and interesting for me. Some map projects push my knowledge of software and mapping techniques, while other projects allow me the chance to 'see' places that I haven't been to yet. Other projects are interesting simply because of the complexity of the analysis and of the work involved.

These days I've been involved in providing support for the military community, which I find extremely challenging. My work of late involves looking at the regional impact of troop deployment cycles and activities, and covers everything from gate traffic analysis to off-base community analysis for military families. What I like about these projects are the variety of data types that I get to work with - such as land use data, Census data, economic data, employment data, population data, transportation data, environmental data, etc. It's pretty rewarding to be able to show a committee or group potential solutions or answers to their problems or issues through spatial analysis, and then display the results in a map that is easy for them to read and understand.

I hope that helps!

Tom

Hey Tom,

Welcome!!! I have been in map making for over 15years, and common question that i get from all around,aren't you bored doing always maps..I put the same question to you, since you have a decade more experience than me..Whats your answer.. I think the fun has begin..

Thanks
Kalai

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->